Mental Health Forums

Council Housing Update

lonelyheartemma

I cant remember what i last said about this so i'll maybe have to recap a bit.

I want to move away from my mum. my social worker (who discharged me) told me where to find the online form but she didnt tell me that there was also a medical form i should have filled in. luckily i went to the council to ask about waiting time and she was like hang on didnt you fill in a medical form? So they posted it to me

when i got the form i was going to fill it in and give it to my GP so she could fill her bits in but i was worried last time that my GP wasnt understanding how bad it was. so i was worried we would be writing totally different things on the form and that the GPs word would be taken over mine.

So i took the form to her today and i wrote down some rough answers for some of the sections i was concerned about. I wanted to make sure she knew as much as possible but i was wary of writing something she wouldnt be prepared to back up. and i think seeing it in writing really made more impression on her than hearing me talk about it, she said it was fine for me to write most of it and she thought that should def bump me up the waiting list a bit.

but if it doesnt work she says she'll support me in an appeal and the stuff she told me not to put on the form is stuff we'll use if we do need to appeal, there wasnt really a place for it on the form but there will be a place for it in an appeal.

thats great news hope it ups your band number its frustrating i had to fill out 2 medical ones, one was a green one called health on grounds needs and a nother one was about incident that occured to me

thank you Flipper :)

I only know about one medical form so far but maybe next time i see my GP, i'll mention the other medical forms to her and see if she knows about them, she seems to know most things. mine is pink and its called Housing Options Medical Form.

Have you tried housing associations too emma? They often have as many places as the council in some areas, and are sympathetic to people with mental health issues. Many councils put you on there automatically, but worth checking out perhaps. The national housing federation is an umbrella organisation that has info onsite for lots of different charities and housing associations in different areas a well as general info, might be worth seeing if there any in your area?

http://www.housing.org.uk/policy/older_and_vulnerable_people/health_and_housing.aspx

I am still on band 5 and its a long process when you trying to move away. not heard of the form u said maybe there different names and colours in different areas? the white one was the incident one when i had to fill out what happened to me a reason why i need to move

thats good news Emma, I really hope it moves you up the waiting list, and I am glad your GP is supporting you with this. xxx

That's great news Emma, hopefully it will help move things along.

When i was unwell, i was staying in a night hostel. I was put on the council list in that area but was low banded.

I went to RentStart (affiliated with the local council) in the area i had family connections and because of my Mental Health, i was told i should be able to qualify for supported housing for vulnerable adults. So we filled in the forms. Within 3 weeks i was living in a flat share in supported housing, and in 6 months was living in a self contained bedsit in supported housing.

I was allocated my own Key Worker, who helped me with benefits, bills, paperwork, debts, taking me to my appointments, making sure i was getting the correct treatment etc. Basically helping to set me up for independent living.

I was on the council list but low banded and was told that when they thought i was able to move on and live independently, they would write to the council and i would be raised to band B.

After about 3 years that happened and it took me two months to get a flat with a local housing association. I had support for 6 weeks from my supported housing key worker, who helped me with setting everything up and i have been in my flat for 20 months.

I'm wondering if this direction could be good for you Emma, if they do the same in your area.

Because in supported housing you have people to help you with pretty much every aspect in teaching you to live indendently, until you are fully ready and well to take on a place of your own on your own. Also it's a foot in the door to get independent hosuing via the council and housing associations.

Although i was quite unwell around the time and it was no walk in the park, i consider myself very lucky to have been offered that kind of help and am very grateful.

Aurora :)

thank you Alchemist Flipper Lily Cats Debbie Aurora :)

Alchemist i'll see what my GP says, I think she feels 1 thing at a time is enough but we'll see.

Flipper i think i'm seen as wanting to move not needing to move so maybe thats why its different

Thank you Cats, Debbie, i hope so too xxx

Aurora thank you for writing such a long post for me. Im glad things have worked out for you.

my OT was supposed to be considering if i needed supported housing but i never heard from her again and when my social worker discharged me she told me i'd declined the OTs help. idk why she thought that, i think they are trying to discharge as many people as possible and they grab any excuse.

was your key worker from the cmht? I'm staying away from them, they dont listen to me and withhold info from me. there might be some good people there somewhere but i've already wasted a whole year and not found anyone who wants to help.

Aurora thank you for writing such a long post for me. Im glad things have worked out for you.

my OT was supposed to be considering if i needed supported housing but i never heard from her again and when my social worker discharged me she told me i'd declined the OTs help. idk why she thought that, i think they are trying to discharge as many people as possible and they grab any excuse.

was your key worker from the cmht? I'm staying away from them, they dont listen to me and withhold info from me. there might be some good people there somewhere but i've already wasted a whole year and not found anyone who wants to help.

Do you still have an OT or were they part of the CMHT?

The Key Worker was part of the Supported Housing Organisation i lived in. All residents were allocated one. You would see them once a week for a general appointment and often more if they were helping with specific things that went over that appointment time and to also take you to other appointments (GP's, Psychiatrists, Benefit Medicals etc) if and when needed. You could always speak to them on the phone if you had any issues that needed dealing with during office hours and they also had an on call service for emergencies.

It could be possible that if you fill out a medical questionaire to go with your housing application, that they may speak to you about supported housing. It's always good to ask them about it also.

Aurora :)

The OT was part of the cmht so i dont hear from her anymore.

I think supported housing would be a good idea for me but i'll take (almost) anything. I want to live somewhere thats near some shops and not in the place where my stalker lives but my social worker said i was being too choosey. I'm glad shes not my social worker anymore. And shes wrong tbh. I've applied for about 20 properties and only seen 1 property thats near my stalker. most weeks there arent any eligible properties buf i apply for almost everything i can.

Archived