Mental Health Forums

Thought Provoking

natfredricks

Actually i get it

we had a therapist that was joking and humouring us all the time

it made me feel like u should b happy so i hid my true feelings so this therapist didnt help me with my emotions

i felt frustrated and left

i also have read somewhere those who constantly help others really need help themselves butr cant ask foir it so they become rescuers

good subject nat

emo

My new therapist is always saying.i have to deal with wat i feel rather than push it diwn with humour wich i do.

So yeah i can totally understand this theory

x

Thank you Emo.

Actually the Gestalt therapy is the 3rd most used in the USA (the first one is CBT,I presume). It

obviously helps many people, and the fact that it doesn't make sense for me, doesn't mean that it

doesn't work for some.

Yes, I've heard psychodynamic is very popular- I don't know what it is ,though.

Then this one is pasted specially for Emo.

'Fritz Perls (founder of Gestalt) would begin his seminars by saying - "If you want to go crazy, ....,

improve, get `turned-on,` or get an experience that will change your life, that's up to you. I do my

thing and you do your thing. Anybody who does not want to take the responsibility for this, please do not attend this seminar."

?????????

Tjanks nat

im thinking basically.hes saying u take responsibility for what u do in life...changee or dont change....hes there doing his thing to help you the rest is up to you

i think thats the point nat

I find it interesting that the Gestalts are against humour.

Quote again: 'When the therapist is being "helpful" with reassurance, jokes or comfort, it prevents the client from fully experiencing his grief, anger, guilt, etc.'

Yes, I see that Emo confirmed that humour is not very good.

Archived