Mental Health Forums

Therapy Benefits?

carlylight1

i'm currently on a waiting list with the nhs although i'm not sure what kind it is for, how long it will be for, or even if i really need it as much as other people(i don't have a great quality of life but there are many people not in the mh system who don't either).

i've been thinking about it and i think what i would most want is for a therapist to validate me by saying 'its ok to feel the way you do about certain aspects of your past, its ok to be the person you are', and hopefully for them to develop my confidence in who i am (no idea how they would do that).

but surely if i could learn to validate myself in those ways that i want a therapist to then there would be no need for therapy.

i'm just wondering what other peoples benefits are or have been from having therapy?

Hi Vivien

I have recently started therapy, I am not sure how long mine will last (CBT) I have only had 2 sessions so I can't really say that I have had any benefits from it yet but I have done group therapy which lasted a year and I did benefit from that, I found my voice after 5 months from being in the group and I gained some confidence and also I helped others which I felt proud of.

I hope that you get seen to pretty quick, I waited about 5 months for CBT.xxx

hi growly, i'm glad its had positive effects for you in the past. i tried group and found it a nightmare, i just couldn't speak at all and felt so bad about myself for it. i can see what you mean about feeling proud of helping people in the group. in my group there were some really lovely people who i would have liked to have been able to help and i ended up getting frustrated that i couldn't communicate.

good luck with the cbt, i've heard it can be really effective so hopefully it will help you xxxx

(((Vivien))) I think that one of the real benefits of therapy is being able to hopefully open up our innermost selves, not only to assist the therapist in helping to validate ourselves, but also in helping ourselves to really hear and clear the clutter and bring it out into the open, whether it be one to one, or group, but one to one feels like a much safer environment, once we can gain trust towards the therapist.

As to what you hope to gain from the therapy, I hope you will experience all the things you mention. I suppose partly, it depends on what sort of therapy you will be having, and in a way this is the key. From my experience CBT is more about re-educating ourselves around negative thinking and changing and challenging destructive and negative behaviour patterns. The therapy I am having at the moment is more like the one I hope you will be getting at this moment in time for your needs. Its called psychodynamic therapy. Ive actually never had this type of therapy before and actually I found it very very difficult in the early sessions. I really hope your therapy will help you and please do go, because many more things happen and sort of process than certainly I could ever have imagined. Wishing you well. Pickle

thank you so much for your replies growly, christine and pickle xxxxxx

christine-validating probably the most important step towards someone feeling like a valid person. i guess self validation isn't a simple thing at all if your mind is against you at times. i know superficially i can do it occasionally but then returning to the opposite of validation over very small triggers must mean things haven't changed deep down.

pickle-thank you for sharing your experience of therapy. to 'really hear and clear the clutter' spoke to me as often it feels like just the mess of everything is in the way and deep down i know i could have a better quality of life if it wasn't there. i think sometimes i tell myself that i couldn't have a better quality of life or that i don't even want that anyway because its easier than accepting i'm not emotionally equipped to get that. i would like to change that.

wishing you well for much peace in the future. xxx

Archived