Mental Health Forums

Mindfulness

jenny1471

Hi

Has anyone done a course or something on this? I have attended a brief talk on it and thought it could be useful. I've refused Nhs therapy so won't be getting DBT etc on the NhS but have found an evening jcourse that starts tonight. It's 8 weeks then one full day. Problem is it costs £250! I guess that's the downfall of me not accepting NHS input (I work in mental health department At NHS).

Anyway, has anyone had any experiences of mindfulness training and was it worth it? I know the choice to pay is mine and every course would be different,, I guess I am just trying to work out if it'd be worth it. I guess it's worth a try it just feels like a lot of money. I've looked around and they all seem to be around that price range.

Thanks

Jenny

(((Jenny))) All I do know is, that people i know who have done mindfulness courses have really benefited and continue to practise it in their daily lives. sounds like a really good move, and though it costs quite a bit initially, the long term benefits could well outweigh the initial financial outlay. Hope this helps.x Pickle

I think a course would be good.

I have a book I think is useful that you migt be interested in first

called - The mindfullness way out of depression or something like that.

sorry to be a bit vague.

Thanks Pickle.. That's what I hoped someone would say lol. I guess I really do want to try it out.. And while I have books I'm just not great at reading them. Think a course would be good for me. What's really attractive is that it's on a Monday evening and normally I go to choir on a Monday evening but have had to leave the choir because of my ex. So I guess I could offset the cost of the choir with the cost of the course.. And yes, it'd be for my emotional well being. Just gotta get over the initial cost! Ha as soon as you replied and said this I was kids relieved.. Maybe I just needed to hear it from someone else. :-)

Thank you

Xx

Thank you Christine.. I have heard of that book so may well get it. If I do this course they give you a book and CD so I guess I could see what they are. Thanks for your insight.. It really helps xx

(((Jenny))) Really glad was able to reassure you and also want to say that it really sounds like this is meant to be for you. In fact you are already being very mindful of your situation, and the fact that this course happens on a Monday night and all that represents to you I think this is absolutley the right move for you.x

Hi Jenny

I did Mindfulness as part of my DBT course and it is every useful (with a lot of practice!) in helping to slow things down in your head, to think about one thing in the moment and to become more self aware and to be able to sit with feelings and not act on them.

I really hope it's a good course and that it helps you sweets xxxx

Thank you.. I'm going to do it! My therapist is away for three weeks soon and I'm not going to choir so the money I'm saving will go towards this instead. First session tonight so hope it goes well :)

Thank you all for sharing your experiences

X

good luck with the course jenny, that sounds a really positive step. i remember seeing lots of posts on here in the past from people who had benefited from practising mindfulness xxx

Hi

Well it went really well! Granted I couldn't quite be mindful but that's normal and I really think it's going to be a useful tool.. We have homework and I already started while driving home. So far so good so here's hoping :)

Thanks all for your encouragement and for making me £250 worse off but hopefully a lot better off emotionally! :) :)

Xx

(((Jenny))) So pleased tonight went really well. You sound really geed up by it, and hope you were a little mindful of driving :worried_anim: whilst you were doing your homework! Great news.x

Lol ok so now I see how my reply sounded.. Wasn't literally doing homework while driving. I mean, the homework is to be mindful.. So I was mindful while driving hence doing my homework. I guess you already figured that out but thought I should make that clear before someone reports me to the DVLA for careless driving! :)

Hehe, I am really geed up (I never knew how to spell geed) by it.. I'm thinking it could really help. And what's even better is that I only thought of what I could have been doing tonight (choir with my ex) tonight a couple of times :)

Thanks for the support

Xx

Mindfulness is great, check out some you tube vids in between classes, search "guided mindfulness" or whatever you need at the time like "mindfulness for anxiety" etc.

xx

Glad it went well. I'm also finding it very helpful as part of the DBT programme I am doing. My hubby bought me a book last week called Introducing Mindfulness - a practical guide by Tessa Watt. It is really good. I can't usually get on with self help books and tet books but this one is different. Its so clear and the exercises give are easy to try. If you get a book I recommend that one. I think it's £6.99.

Thank you. I'll take a look on Amazon now. We did get a CD and book with the course so ill probably stick with that for the course duration but it could be good to have something else to read once the course is finished. I'll look now.. Thanks so much for your suggestion :) x

Archived