Mental Health Forums

Does Therapist Have The Right To Do This?

Fanta

Ok today I was so honest with my therapist that I told her I felt suicidal and I even planned it out, She said that she was going to send a fax to my GP and tell him of her concerns and that I need more care, I thought everything was confidential? She did ask if I was ok with her doing this and I sad "no not really" but she said that she feels it's the right thing to do. It is what I get for being honest with her I suppose.

(((Growly))), the more support you have over this time I think, the better. As to whether your therapist has the right, I think she probably has a duty of care to you, and if she feels that it is important that your GP knows about how you truly are feeling, then she can also be supported to give you the right support too. Was just thinking that the therapy you are having just now has taken quite a while hasn't it, and was being set up for you with your circumstances at the time. Youve had a lot happen since this was set up for you, and as good as CBT is, maybe also you need different additional support for all the trauma you have recently experienced, and it sounds like your therapist is being very responsible and very supportive.xx What do you think? Pickle

Thanks and yeah Pickle I think that you have a good point she was concerned about me.

I see my Pdoc tomorrow and I am going to mention how I feel to him too.xxx

(((growly))) i think its good they are concerned. it can be heard to let people be involved but its for the best if they can help you stay safe. take care xxxx

Yes ,it should be confidential, but they re legally obliged to report if there is a plan and they

consider the risk high.May be, in fact, your GP should take better care of you (and of all us, to be honest).

Agree with what others have said...everything should be confidential between you and your therapist unless you say something that is a cause for concern. She has to pass on her concerns for you if she feels you may be at risk of harming yourself.

I hope your pdoc is helpful tomorrow xxx

Ideally she should have made that clear right at the beginning before you started talking though, I.e. about confidentiality and the times in which she would be obliged to break confidentiality.

But yes I agree with the others. I hope your therapist, GP and podc can all help support you at this really really difficult time

Xx

Archived