Mental Health Forums

I Am Very Ashamed To Ask But...

natfredricks

but can anybody help me with my Gestalt therapy course. We are supposed to work in pairs and I don't have anybody.

The task is as follows:

Now we want you to imagine what you will ask me to do next. Imagine it in detail . . . . Now tell me what you think I will ask you to do next. . . . And now we want you to both go ahead and actually do whatever it was that you thought we would ask you to do. See what you can learn from this.

TBH I don't quite understand it. Please, can you write to me something beginning with 'I imagine that you will ask me to.....'

'Imagine it in detail '

Now I will tell you how I imagine in details how you are going to do it.

I am not a good cook myself so I can't imagine anything specific. I just see you putting a lot of butter in a tray, then putting a lot of raisins on the top of the mixture and putting it into the oven.For 30 minutes. Then you take it out and it looks all yellow and a bit brown on the top. Smells delicious.It is not burnt.

I am a dreadful cook, I know it sounds ridiculous.

Now ,dear Maddison,can you tell me the difference between my imagination and reality: is it the usual way you bake a cake.

Thank you very much,Jenny.It is Gestalt therapy course online, They put a lot of stress on difference between reality and fantasy.

I am struggling a lot, to be honest.

Are they asking you to imagine a situation, like if someone asks you to bake a cake.. Then your mind goes in to automatic thinking such as 'I'm hopeless at baking' etc. but maybe this is not the reality of the situation, maybe there have been times when you have baked successfully? Or maybe your fear stops you from baking in the first place.. Or are you comparing your baking skills to expectations that you have on yourself maybe compared to other people?

It sounds a little confusing if you ask me. But I'd love to know more about the course. I need to fill my time up as I'm off work and need to distract myself. I might do some research now on courses :)

Now I will tell you how I imagine in details how you are going to do it.

I imagine that you get into your car and drive me to the building which they rent for their classes. It is a red brick building, tatty, probably an old abandoned factory. It is really cold inside.The room is big and dull, there are several cheap black chairs in it.There are about 15 big ladies in it, 3 of them are teenagers, who look really shy. We all look at each other in embarrassment and nobody talks to each other. No men at all.The instructor is an extremely overweight but bubbly woman with dark skin and a pony tail. Her hair is black.She is around 35.Then we all start to dance Latino-American dances,jumping like mad.It is getting warmer and warmer in the room.We dance together with you, Jenny. The atmosphere becomes nicer and after 30 minutes of wild dancing and jumping we have some tea.

(Jenny, I've never been to Zumba)

Sorry ,Jenny ,I haven't seen your previous post. I don't think Gestalt is about evaluating somebody, it is about awareness of the present and the reality.In the 1st lesson they ask you to focus on smells and sounds around you.

I decided to try it first thinking it might help me with depression, and secondly I thought I could get a Diploma. My teacher's diploma is not valid in the UK and to make it valid I will have to pay more than for the whole Course.

You r right, darling, I have low-esteem issues, you spotted it well from that baking thing.

I am baking a cake I choose choc chip as it is every one's favourite in my house!

I put the oven on about 180

Grease cake tin

Mix cream, butter and sugar

Add eggs and soured cream

Then add flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder

Mix for about 5 minutes then put half in the baking tin

Add sugar and choc chips to the remaining half and stir then pour in to the baking tin

Add rest of choc chips on top ( I get carried a way at this point!)

Put in oven for about 30 minutes, stick a knife in if it comes out clean the cake is done if not then keep checking every few minutes until the knife is clean.

Leave to cool.

Usually tidy as the cake is cooking.

Dear Maddison.

It really shows the difference between imagination and reality.

Why did I imagine you bake raisins, when of course you do it with choc chips. Why haven't I thought about choc chips! You look like a choc chip on your photo!Of course choc chip!

Thank you for the recipe, by the way.

I am going to copy it all quickly and paste it into my course,if you are not against, and hopefully will pass. You were a real help!

Dear Jenny. When you have some free time, is there any difference between what I imagined your Zumba would be and what it really is.

Nat are you suppose to imagine what you believe someone would expect of you? Then make the request like

Nat: I imagine sah would ask me to ________.

Sah: ask Nat to ________.

So you can then compare the difference in connection you make of your reality and actual interaction? Before you pick the topic to describe in detail? That is just how I was reading the exercise to start. I know gestalt is a lot about perceived connection.

Archived