Mental Health Forums

Submitted Thesis

Data

Around 1pm today I submitted my PhD thesis to the university:

• 302 pages
  • 89000 words
  • 176 references to other articles/publications
  • 5 years of work

Its not the end of the story because I have to have an oral exam (probably around Christmas), and then there is a strong possibility that they might want a few changes to the thesis. But, I am hoping that won't be a lot of work.

I'll be making plans for getting jobs and what to do to keep me occupied whilst I am unemployed. There are plenty of tasks that need doing around here. And I'll want to keep going with my diet and start a regular exercise routine.

But tonight I'm just going to relax and enjoy not being a student for a change! In the kitchen I have cheese, crackers, chocolate, beer - and a bottle of champagne! I'm going to share all this with my wife and kids of course (although the kids are not getting any champagne!).

I've been a member here 3 years and I've been a student all that time. Its been a really tough period of my life, an emotional rollercoaster as they say. Thanks everyone for helping me get through it!

Hell yes data! You've done something which even people without all the hardships you have had to overcome would have extreme difficulty doing. Kudos to you, and have a drink on me!

Make sure you note this as an incredible achievement!

Thanks everyone - I've run out of likes!

My family arranged a surprise for me with balloons. And I have been given a gift of some rolos and a 'brain training' book.

I've left a box of roses for them to share :).

Data this is just brilliant news - I know how the road to this day has had it's ups and downs!

But you haven't given up, ever...which says something excellent and strong about you.

So so pleased and proud of you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks fedup! There were many times that I felt fed up, but I always hoped I'd get there in the end.

It ain't over until the fat lady sings. She's not singing yet but she is on the stage and has her microphone in hand!

I'm on my 3rd glass of champagne (my wife has had 2), its nice!

louis-dubrince.jpg

Thanks Pandora and Emma. I did enjoy it, despite the stress. It has been an opportunity of a lifetime; its only when you look back you realise how much you learn.

I've just seen this Data, and I'm so proud of you! Well done!!

I always knew you would get there, as I know you have a brilliant mind.

Make sure you fill your time in the next little while, as there will be a feeling of a gigantic void in your life; for the last few years it has been filled with a myriad of complicated things (which I don't understand at all) and hasn't left much room for you.

kalico - thanks :).

I was worried about the void. I have to say it felt nice this morning not having anything in particular to do.

HOWEVER... it won't last! I have a telephone interview tomorrow, an in-person interview on Thursday and another in-person interview next week.

I have just been to buy smart shoes and an umbrella. I have a delivery of extra large smart shirts coming tomorrow to hide my fat belly!

Archived