Mental Health Forums

This Is Why My Job Is So Bloody Difficult

b0bulat0r

This is an e-mail i've just sent out to all staff.

see my RAGE!!!

Subject: Unacceptable state of Room 4A

Dear All

I have just come to perform a quick installation in 4A and have noticed that the room is in an absolutely awful and unacceptable state.

1) The fob lock release had been pushed again leaving the door wide open for anyone to get in.

2) the sockets in the room had been switched off from the central sockets so that half of the machines in the room were flat and would not turn on.

3) the projector had been disconnected

4) the printer was making a horrific noise because it was jammed with several sheets of paper misfed and crunched inside the roller,

5) jumpers, water bottles, print outs of pictures from the internet litter the benches leaving the room looking messy and unprofessional.

Can I please ask staff to make sure they leave this room in the sort of state that they would expect to find it in, and that they take 2 minutes at the end of the lesson just to make sure everything is left in working order.

If you end up jamming the printer and causing a fault like the one I found I would much rather that you reported it to me and let me know that you've done this than leave it for me to find it or get told about it half a day later when 4 other people have tried to used it and ignored the problem until someone finally decides to let me know about it.

This room is used by a large portion of the school and we all have to share the resources, We therefore ALL must be responsible for looking after them.

Regards

Robert.

P.S the network printers are not intended for you to print 300 copies of the same document, that is what we have a photocopier for, please consider the cost of your printer.

(end of e-mail)

I've just taken photo evidence of the room, nobody booked the room this morning so they just went and used it, so i'm going to check the CCTV.

So ANGRY!

I replied to the post before the forum went down, and my reply has gone. Never mind. I just said that it is good that you are able to be assertive, bobulator.

Hi Rob,

I can see why you're angry, it's unacceptable to leave a room in that condition.

I think you have every right to take things further - to your line manager - or whoever is above the recipient of the e-mail.

You have the right to be treated with respect, as well as respect for the job you do and it's evident from your e-mail that the way the room is left is not respectful.

I do hope the powers that be take notice and do something about it.

In the meantime could you print out a "Please leave this room the way you would like to find it" notice and stick to every door? Only trying to help.

Best Wishes

Crystal

Hi Bob - I am going to reply to your post from a different angle. I assume you have had some CBT training like a lot of us. If so do you remember the part about "shoulds?". Often people, people like us with MH difficulties have a very "shouldy" approach to life which in the end just brings us more emotional misery. This involves how we view ourselves, other people, and the world in general. If we use too many shoulds on ourselves - bingo, self hate and guilt. Likewise if we feel others "should" act some way to our liking we get angry at them if they do not although we really don't have control over them. If the external world (like the room you have been talking about) is not to our liking we can get angry, self righteous, say things aren't fair, etc. I am not minimizing the fact that all of us whether MH or not are affected by these things because we are simply because we are human. On the other hand a lot of us (including myself at times) really do use too many "shoulds" and in the end guess who suffers the most - we do. You may want to think a bit more about some CBT principles because I have seen from your posts that you sometimes work yourself up over things that to some degree may be out of control and the end result is that your emotional suffering just gets worse. Anyway, take care and in all reality I do hope the room is sorted out (I hate messy rooms myself - lol!). - Detroitguy.

You have a valid point Detroitguy, however

my issue is not so much with the mess itself but with the damage,

I am responsible to make sure that the room works properly, Tidying up after other peoples garbage isn't my job, but in order to do my job and fix the damage, I often have to tidy up the mess.

my frustration is that when people don't do what they "should" do, It means more work for me, and when I am stretched thin dealing with serious issues I cannot afford the time wasted by this sort of abuse of a shared resource.

i don't give a rats arse if they live at filth at home, or wallow in their own trash, I don't really care if their rooms look like the aftermath of a nuclear war, but when their actions give me more work to do, then I do get bothered by it,

your right, even people without MH would be affected by it,

at work at the moment everything is just one thing after another, things like this are getting it very close to being the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Hi Bob - I appreciate your response and indeed it seems that you have been under a lot of pressure through no fault of your own (although some of the things happening at work may be out of your control). I have read some of your posts in the past and do not recall if you are seeing a therapist. I know at times you almost seem ready to throw in the towel from all of the stress so maybe you may mention if you are seeing a therapist or if not getting one lined up for yourself. I think at this point it may really help. - Detroitguy. PS as much as you would like the situation at work to be different sometimes things can be beyond your control. If you are being given too many responsibilites, just do what you can do and the hell with the rest! I think management would then start to realize that you are in an impossible situation as to regard to work load and will have to hire some help or some things just won't get done. It's not your problem!

I had an apprentice who was amazing and used to do alot of the little jobs, letting me get on with the important Server related jobs.

however they made him redundant at the end of the year because they "couldn't afford him"

management has known for a long time that I need help, I'm doing the workload of 4 people, something that would be difficult for someone even without MH issues,

yet they won't get any help in because of money.

i am not seeing a therapist no, I was supposed to have a referral on from the last place I saw about 8 months ago, I chased about 3 months ago but nothing happened, I then sort of gave up, I obviously wasn't important enough to bother with.

Archived