Mental Health Forums

Quetiapine Vs Quetiapine Xr

x.glitter_raindrops.x

was wondering if anyone who takes quetiapine or have taken it has been used to taking the normal tablets and then when you ordered a prescription from gp surgery the doctor prescribed you the modified release (quetiapine xr) ones? Totally screwed me up, it doesn't do enough to calm the buzz so that I can sleep, I'm currently contemplating a 5 mile sprint (both mentally and physically) but due to not sleeping and being a heavy pregnant lady its making it near impossible to function during the day. Didnt expect it to make that much difference! Same dose just different type. Happened to any of you?

i found that the xl vertion of quitiapine made me really highper phisically and mentally

that's why i stopped it and changed anti psycottic compleatly afterr that, i couldn't haandle it at all. it never agreed with me very well. i am glad i changed over tbh

See I have been on other anti psychotics too but this is all I can take due to being pregnant. Strange thing is, the normal quetiapine was actually working pretty well (which makes a change with me) I've been on the xr three days and I feel like a completely different person already! I'm normally asleep by 9pm or earlier, what with a toddler, pregnancy and tablets that WERE doing there job.

Really strange that it has had hyper effect!

Hi I am on quetiapine xr and prev was on standard quet. But I chose to switch as I've always faired better on ones that spread the dose over the day so i don't get peaks and troughs of meds.

The difference is it's modified release.

So normal quet runs in and dumps the whole dose on you straight away (within an hour or so) and therefore become quite sedated within that time, xr gradually releases that dose over 16-24hrs so not such a massive dump of meds straight off. Hence why you're not getting so sleepy straight away.

First off, i would be concerned if the med change was unexpected, cos either dr has changed the script and not spoke to you, or pharmacist has messed up and given wrongly. Either of these 2 I would tackle first.

But if as your 2nd post sounds like you knew you were going to be changed over

because of being pregnant then, options are:

• Trying to build bedtime routine (i know it sucks and sounds annoying but this can then work alongside your meds to help you sleep instead of relying on just the med to knock you out)
  • Take your meds earlier (instead of taking at say 9pm and expecting to sleep straight away, take them at 8pm to give them time to kick in, or even 7:30/7pm.

XR Quet shouldn't make you hyper, i would more presume that you are just less sedated than on the standard one and that may take a little while to get used to.

If all else fails go see your gp again to discuss the meds change and see if they suggest anything else.

Hope this helps

x

Thanks for replying :)

I'm pretty sure the dr has made a mistake, as it isn't him who decides my medication, it's the perinatal mh team (mh team in pregnancy) and the pharmacist I go to knows me quite well, and even he was puzzled. He warned me they wouldn't work exactly the same, just didnt realise how different the effect. It only got written up by the gp because thats the route I have to go down to get my prescriptions.

What you were saying about taking them early, I normally take them between 7.30 and 8pm and go to bed about half hour after. Makes me sound old and boring, but thats the routine I need to keep if I want to function and balance my moods. Well, as you can see...took them at 8ish tonight and I'm still wide awake.

I'm guessing I should mention this to my cpn when she visits monday and ask if she can ask the pdoc to put it right somehow.

grrrr meds can be quite helpful but hassle at times lol xx

Thanks for replying :)

I'm pretty sure the dr has made a mistake, as it isn't him who decides my medication, it's the perinatal mh team (mh team in pregnancy) and the pharmacist I go to knows me quite well, and even he was puzzled. He warned me they wouldn't work exactly the same, just didnt realise how different the effect. It only got written up by the gp because thats the route I have to go down to get my prescriptions.

What you were saying about taking them early, I normally take them between 7.30 and 8pm and go to bed about half hour after. Makes me sound old and boring, but thats the routine I need to keep if I want to function and balance my moods. Well, as you can see...took them at 8ish tonight and I'm still wide awake.

I'm guessing I should mention this to my cpn when she visits monday and ask if she can ask the pdoc to put it right somehow.

grrrr meds can be quite helpful but hassle at times lol xx

Yeah I would say def contact cpn and the surgery.

I know it's a pain but I always check my meds before leaving pharmacy and if it's wrong and is the gp error then go straight to surgery to sort it out as if it's not the right one ie not discussed and agreed to a change then that is bad practice at least and possibly incompetent (writing down the wrong meds).

x

i have just swopped as the dose of quietiapine i was on was affecting my heart apparently according to ecg, one of the "t" lines was too long, so was reduced to 400mg (from 800mg) and started 00mg morn and same at night and it wiped me out, so i asked for all 400mg of normal at night, but pysch suggested xr instead, i am less drowsy but moodss not been helped maybe even worse, but only been on xr less than a week.

ps the reduction in amount has fixed the heart problem tho.

Archived