Mental Health Forums

Mania-Inducing Medication

alizae

This is a medical question and you may say "ask your doctor", but I'm looking for a different view for this.

Should I avoid anti-depressive medication that are possible mania-inducing for me? But then again, I'm not sure if the meds are causing hypomania. I simply feel happy, speeded up and emotional (but not depressed). Do these sound like bad signs?

(Btw, the doctors usually don't have any good advice concerning medication.)

What you describe doesnt sound worrying. Have you ever had a full mania?

SSRI's and such can sometimes cause mania in bipolar people,are you bipolar?

Usually theyre better off on moodstabelizers or anti ds in combination with a stabelizer like;lithium,depakote etc

I cannot say I know what full mania is, so the answer have to be no.

Personally I would say I'm bipolar, but I cannot get that diagnosis according to DSM-IV/V because I never experience episodes that last that long as it is required. Or match the severity. But of course there are all those in-between forms that are used to cover everything. Rapid cycling, cyclothymia, so it's a bit fuzzy disorder to diagnose.

It's tricky because BPD is a mood disorder too. And it's presumed to be comorbid with bipolar disorder. I cannot really tell the difference between BPD or bipolar.

But I've had problems with long-lasting mixed episodes several times during my life. Otherwise my usual routine is to be focused and sort of "high" few weeks, then crash into an empty, meaningless state. But it's rarely a constant state during those periods. My moods are most of the time triggered from what I do, so it's not really a classic hypomanic episode.

However, this AD actually made me feel like being on a low, but constant dose of Ecstasy (or similar). But it doesn't mean it's dangerous or hypomanic. My symptoms sounded normal to you, I presume? I'm just worried over being happy because that is not my usual state.

well do u get high and low. I go from one extreme to another? I go really low tearful, agitated, suicidal to feeling euphoric high which involves spending money drastically too and spinning and spinning

Yes, I get "high" and "low". I know that switch between these states. But doesn't bipolar require moods that last longer periods?

How long would you say a certain mood (high/low) should last before it's hypomania/depression instead of a simple mood swing?

oh and having antidepressants on own proven to not be effective, usually if that doesnt help we should be tested for bipolar

What do you mean?

i think it can be a period of week. i am reading a book and it says that people who havent been tested for bipolar, if antidepressants havent proven to be effective to there mental health then should be tested. I am having A test to confirm if i have PTSD/Bipolar or not.

it might be worth you going on a mood stabliser to see if it helps you or not do you have a cpn or shrink or beeing looked out for by your local c m h t

? sorry for all the questions...

I usually don't use anti-depressives. I only use mood stabilizers.

But I had anti-depressives for a brief time recently. I'm just wondering if I should go back to them or not. Although I cannot handle the side-effects so the overall benefit is not big enough.

mood stabilisers are usually used for bipolar patients- i think if u are on them to keep taking them but if there not helping go to doctor and see if there is anything else that u could take if there not working

it might be worth you going on a mood stabliser to see if it helps you or not do you have a cpn or shrink or beeing looked out for by your local c m h t

? sorry for all the questions...

who that question too?

Archived