Mental Health Forums

Lamotrigine

Barebones

Has anyone else been on this to stabilise there moods?

My pdoc today has suggested that i try this to control my mood swings. Never been on a mood stabliser only anti p and anti d

So any thoughts, feedback would be great xxxxxx

I haven't been on lamotrigine, but am on carbamazapine, a similar anti epileptic.

For me, when i first took it, it was like a miricle drug. It very quickly had a real stabalising effect on my moods. I no longer had intense highs when i did crazy things, I was taken off it a few months ago because of elevated liver enzymes, but put back on it after a rest, and my moods again became more stable. it didn't cause any weight gain either.

I certainly think its worth a try xx

Thanks kalico x

Thats the thing, my liver enzymes is normaly up due to my drinking so maybe they might not put me on it. It sounds good in what u experienced, i was worried about any side effects which i read up a little on.

So yeah i think its worth a try, anything is better than the mood swings im having again.

huggles to ya xxx

I take Epilim at a dose of 1600mg a day now.

I agree it was like a miracle drug for me, my moods have been relatively stable for a while now.

Hope it works in the same way for you.

I've been on it about 18 months now and had no trouble with it at all. It is the best med I've ever tried, mood swings are less extreme and I haven't had half as many seriously depressed patches either. Definately give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys i just saw these replies x

I started on it yesterday, ended up drinking with a friend in the morn and went to work. I am still seeing if i have any side effects from me, other than that im not sure how i am feeling or if it has changed anything.

All i can think of is the side effects, but its not helping that i am drinking this afo after work.

I will stick at taking it and see if i can notice a change in my mood swings.

Also can i ask u? when taking this med are u still on other meds? I am still on my ant D and also anti P

Hi barbones, I take it with anti d and was taking it with ap as well. I guess its about 18months now, Its hard to say what effect it has but overall I have felt calmer.

Archived