Mental Health Forums

It's So Easy To Go Under The Radar

Christine001

I missed 2 pdoc appts so I am discharged and havent seen a gp for 18months, My therapy has finished It so easy to become invisable. how many people commit suicide, end up homeless, or just live in dire circumstances because they just don't bother to look beyond the obvious when you can't engage?

Yes it's a real shame isn't it. I work for the NHS and we give people two chances to miss an appointment then discharge them. It's as "simple" as that.. only if we know there may be more pressing problems that we send a more personal letter or in extreme cases get the 'outreach team' to pay the client a visit. But more often than not they get discharged after a standard letter giving them 14 days to get in touch. It's very impersonal (in my opinion) but unfortunately our team just has no time to make lots of phone calls or write personalised letters, etc. I don't think it'd take much though to just make a phone call to say "hey, you missed your appointment, are you ok".. instead they get admin to write a standard letter. I guess it saves time.

It is scarily easy to get away from services. I guess there's an element of them thinking we'll take responsibility for our own treatment. In a sense we need to want it for it to work, so if they kind of 'forced' (although not really forced) us to attend appointments then we may be doing it for the wrong reasons. Not sure if that makes sense. But that's not to say that a little bit of thought and time their end wouldn't go amiss. I guess though, they could be saying the same their end.. like, if you don't attend an appointment why should they chase you up.. someone else could have used the appointment etc. I guess if they think you have mental capacity then it's your decision. There are different ways of looking at it I guess.

But what I am wondering is how you are feeling about all this? I kind of assume a part of you had wanted them to make contact with you to see why you'd missed the appointment and to see how you're doing? It may not feel that great that they haven't done this.. maybe feels like a rejection of sorts. I hope you are ok and also hope that you'll make contact with them or with your GP if you feel they could help support you x

No I wanted him to discharge me and knew they would, guess it was easier than saying thank you I am discharging myself because I coudnt give a fk about myself.I guess if I get so ill I will been seen somewhere at some point. its ok.

I know I am not acting like an mature adult but I am struggling and am feeling very isolated, of my own doing. I cant sleep, getting about 2 hours if lucky and I am struggling to control my stress levels and ability to function at work.

I have no opportunity to go off sick as this would be a big mistake. I am sorry for being so all over the place I did think the T had taught me something, I am more aware but controlling my mental health isnt there. I am sh most days even with the children here. Its no good saying I should seek help its gone past this now and I cant do it apart from here.

vivien what would I do without the few here who still bother with me. I am used to being rejected for being so negative and a victim. it still hurts though, bless you xx

I'm sorry things are so difficult at the moment. I really do hear your pain and struggles and that you don't feel able to go back to the cmht for support. I hope you'll keep reaching out here at least.. I'm listening and I truly care xx

No, it is so far from self indulgent. You are in pain, who would choose to be in pain? Hunni you aren't an attention seeker, in fact what I've read you seem introvert, all your pain and anger is directed at your self.

Archived