Mental Health Forums

Still Throwing Up Feel Lonly And Disgusting

rufusmoo

Hi all,

I know what people will say. I'm 8 months pregnant but i'm still bulimic. I do manage the odd day when I don't throw up and I used to binge and vomit about 4/5 times a day but I've managed to cut it down to about 2. I make sure I have loads of fruit and what I do keep is healthy for the baby.

He's doing so well but my husband looked at my arms last night and said I looked like an Ethiopian and I looked disgusting and even went to sit on another sofa. I'm trying to hard to cut down.

I'm so confused. The mental health service couldn't care less if you have bulimia. They say you're not ready to stop so you won't. How can theses opinions be so contrasting? Damn MH they go on about me being a poor role model for my son but don't offer any practical advice

I have no one to talk to about this. No one seems to understand because it's easier to condemn and point the finger. I know it'snot right what I do but it's an illness like any other... x

So sorry to hear what you are going through. It is an illness that you need help and support with just like any other. It's obviously a habit that has been going for quite a while, and it's hard to give up compulsions that you are used to.

Well done for cutting down from 5-6 times to only two. Are there any techniques like eating small but often etc that you've tried, or could try? I have no background of bulimia, but I do get the odd week between comfort eating months where I become obsessive about calories and exercising etc, but it never lasts more than week.

It must be hard for you to feel judged, when you are trying your best. Are there any websites etc that offer advice? It's difficult as I guess comfort eating is in response to stress, whereas bulimia I guess is a 'it comes after eating' therefore trying to break the cycle is hard as you kind of expect to do it after eating? (I guess?) Is there a bunch of distractions you could do after eating that makes you not have enough time to be sick? I don't know if that would be helpful, but maybe trying to change the compulsion to a more healthier option, like overtalking the voice in your head that tells you to throw up? by saying I must wash up, I must vacuum and then do a jigsaw... sorry it sounds silly, but I don't know. Just wish I could help you. *hugs* xxxxx

Hi rufusmoo,

this part of the forum I dont usually post on but I saw your post and see how hard it is for you. You want your baby to be healthy and have tried hard to cut down the throwing up and have a healthy diet and I think that is something to be proud of. I hope that when the baby is born you can try to carry on with the reduced throwing up and eating healthy coz you will need all the enargy you can and its very stressful with a new little one.

dont be so hard on yourself hun, hugs from me xx

Thank you for your replies everyone.

It's just awful when the rest of the world and the MH teams are shit and unsupportive and just tell you that you will be a poor role model but don't actually offer any advice.

I thought I had done well but it's never enough for people and the pride you feel gets stolen away by people being negative when you are trying to be positive.

Natfredricks, my husband thought my hands, wrists and arms were disgusting as he says they are bony and there is no fat on them. I told him how much his words hurt me and that I didn't even want to sleep in the same bed as someone who thinks I look disgusting. He said he's sorry I'm upset but not sorry for saying it.

I'm going to start ignoring people and follow all of your advice and believe I am doing well to cut down as much as I have. I used to take 10-15 laxatives a day as well as diuretics but as soon as I found out I was expecting I stopped those straight away.

Thanks Guys x

I think you are trying your best and you are doing very well.Bulimia is a very serious condition, hard to deal with.Hope you will put on some weight and give birth to a really plump baby!I like plump babies!

Hey well done you. You're doing amazing and those odd days where you are not being sick will hopefully join up into weeks! Maybe your hubby is trying to shock you in to stopping. Keep at it you're amazing!

Archived