Mental Health Forums

Therapy Vs Counselling

ukulele25

Hi everyone, just wondering what actually is the difference between therapy and counselling.

I have depression (not bipolar like they thought if anyone has read my previous posts) and have been given CB therapy but I have a friend who says he has depression but he gets counselling instead.

How are they different?

Does it depend on the seriousness of your case?

Or is it just what is available at the time?

Not that important, I know, I'm just curious!

xxx

In my experience ive had both

councelling for me was more of a way to off load...with the councellor just listening

therapy is more in depth about feelings and the therapist guides more amd makes u more aware of feelings

dunno if thats right for everyone but thats wat i found was the difference.

My councellor at the time said i needed therapy as she wasnt as well trained.

Just my expeeience tho

hope thats helped

Yeah I agree with Emo counselling is a way to off load.

I didn't like counselling, I much prefer therapy as the therapist guides you as Emo says.xx

thanks guys, very helpful :)

I'm glad I'm getting therapy then as it seems the better option - i suppose having somewhere like counselling would be good to let it all out and just have a good rant though hahah :)

xxx

I've been with 5 counsellors over the years, some through NHS and some private. I'm glad I did and am now nearly into my fifth year of Gestalt Psychotherapy. The bloke I go to practices as a counsellor also and we agreed that I could've continued counselling 'ad infinitum' but I wouldn't have got much better (as was my experience). Having explored allsorts over the years I'm now finding combination of medication and Gestalt Psychotherapy the best so far, by far. I'm interested in the different types of psychotherapy available these days and with whom (some are cowboys and cowgirls) although for me Gestalt Psychotherapy is my therapy of choice all round. I discovered recently that some psychotherapists are registered with UKCP and some not (I wonder why some choose not to or are perhaps rejected?). I also found out that BACP and UKCP are neither statutory, mandatory membership etc bodies which I was surprised about. It seems a minefield to me, I'm just glad to be on the journey I'm on through luck, synchronicity, God or whatever...

I have seen lots of counsellors but the ones i got on best with were the ones who were also therapists and used therapy techniques. tho when I saw a drama therapist I didnt find that helpful at all.

There probably isnt a right or wrong answer- it depends on you and it also depends on the counsellor/therapist. I need to feel I'm talking to a real live human being with thoughts and feelings. I have real trouble talking to people who hardly speak ot just paraphrase what i say, it feels so one sided, it makes me feel like they dont care. But with the drama therapist, altho he did speak a lot, I'd go there and try to talk about something but he'd stop me so we could talk about his pet theories about me instead of what I needed to talk about.

I'm probably wrong but I think because therapy and counselling involves talking about such personal and difficult things its not something your going to feel able to talk about to just anyone. The counsellors who used therapy techniques were willing to adapt to me as an individual but the drama therapist just seemed to make up his own mind and showed no interest in anything else I said. I'm probably wrong but i think I was responding to the people at least as much as the techniques.

I hope the therapy and the therapist are right for you :) If they arent, there are other options and if they dont seem right straight away that doesnt mean things wont get better but I hope its helpful right from the start :)

Archived