Mental Health Forums

Olanzapene...

maddy harper

hi guys, i've noticed since going on olanzapene that my appitite has increased a hell of a lot.. i cant seem to get full any more when ever ieat, if it was up to my body i'd be eating 24 hours of the day... . i havent put muchwaight on though which is a bad thing as i am so light... i know olanzapene is famous for makin people put waight on but it hasn't done that with me whic is a shame as i would like to be a little bit fatter... i'm 8 stone 1 and this has been the heavyest i've ever been in my intire life... i guess what im trying to say is, did any one else hav the never endingappitite with olanzapene or is it just me? also whatother side effects did you experience on it, i have really restless legs and i cant seem to sit or stand still for any length of time. it drives me mental sometimes the restlessness i mean... thanks for your replys in advance. ps, hope the post made some kinda sence. xxx

Hi Maddy,

I was on Olanzapine ages ago for a very short while, and have been on Quetiapine for about 3 years. Both gave me that feeling that i could never get full and i would overeat. Although that petered out after a while on Quetiapine.

I've never experienced the restlessness like you described (which i think is called Akathisia) on the above medications, but i did on Risperidone. I had the feeling i wanted to crawl out of my own skin and run away because it was so uncomfortable. All day and night i would feel that i could actually walk and walk for miles and couldn't sit or lay still for very long.

I'm not sure how long you have been on Olanzapine. With most anti-psychotics and other psychiatric medications, you will get some side effects at first but then they can subside as your body gets used to them.

If they continue and they become very troublesome for you, then it may be worth discussing all side effects with your PDoc and/or your GP. I think they can prescribe something to help with the restlessness, or if it is too much for you they can see whether a different medication might be worth trying.

Aurora :)

i've been on olanzapene since martch... i have tryed bringing my restlessness up inmy c p a reviews but i never get listened to so i don't know what to do... i was on quitiapine before that since october last year till martchwhen they swapped me over to olanzapene and since then i've been very ajitated an i don't like it. on the plus side it has made my voices more livable with so i guess ther's a silver lineing in the dark cloud...

Archived