Mental Health Forums

Memory And Learning

ruffryder

i just wanted to know if it is a normal bpd thing or its just me, when i was at school i was pretty bright and just took everything in but it just wont work anymore its such a strain to consentrait that it exausts me and things im supposed to be learning just go in one ear out the other people tend to say im just not trying but whan i do try i get very distressed and then cant take anything in anyway i feel bad about it most of the time because i really dont want to miss out on something that might really help me in life does anyone get this it is very depressing for me as im finding it hard learning about bpd to help myself and to know more about it but no matter how much i read its not really going in

Hi ruffryder,

Yep this makes sense to me! I too was bright at school but since my emotions have gone on overdrive I found I can barely take anything in and I need to learn it again and again before it settles in my head. I've just gone back to university last year and have had to get disability help for this problem. One thing that affected me was I was on tranquillisers for 11 years and this depletes cognitive learning and can take years for it to come back - are you on any drugs? I think certain anti depressants can have this affect too?

What I have found helpful though is meditating or exercising before a class - this can clear the mind and help blow the cobwebs away!!

What are you trying to learn or is it just in general? I totally sympathise with you if thats any help xx

thanks for the reply im trying to learn dbt atm which im finding hard im not on any meds right now but have been i did smoke a lot of weed when i was younger but then i was learning at the time it wasnt that hard its just so hard and frustrating because i know i can learn and quite enjoyed it but now i just cant take anything in i feel like im missing out on life and the great things it holds its even really hard talking to my friend about films iv seen or games iv played because i never remember them so its very hard to hold a convo with people

Oh I so relate to this, especially the bit about films etc and conversations - I'd need to sit down and work my way thru the film, which'd take me hours to figure out and unfortunately conversations go much quicker than this!! Hey but dont beat yourself up about the DBt stuff - I've heard its really hard going and mentally exhausting. It's maybe cos it brings so much emotional stuff up so you're trying to figure out how youre feeling plus learning a bunch of stuff - I'm not surprised it's hard cos it's all about emotions so much tougher than just says geography homework!! I've known people that are on their third attempt at it so you're doing just fine kidda!! Keep going and remember even stuff you're not conscious of learning you'll be picking up on and it will be going in! Good luck xx

Hi ruffryder - I feel badly for what you are going through. I noticed by the style of your writing in your posts (run on sentences) that there may be some type of thinking problem going on. Possibly you should arrange to see a doctor and get some type of cognitive testing done as well as a medical workup. Possibly the source of your problem can be determined. Try and hang in there! - Jeff

thanks jeff ill see if i can my gp is pretty useless i just get made to feel im wasting their time iv got to see my therapist tomoz ill ask him i find it hard sometimes to put punctuation in because im trying to get the words out my head and write them down here if i dont do it i forget what im writing lol sorry if its annoying

Hello again,

Maybe you could write everything out quickly if you need to like you said and then go back and put punctuation in once you've got it all written down - just a thought :) Hope you're good today, Lisa.

I find my concentration and dissociation can make learning a real challenge. I wouldn't worry too much about the finer points of punctuation on this site though, just getting your thoughts out into words and communicating concerns are what is most important.

Parts of my educational years were very derailed by trauma, so there are areas, that I feel completely remedial in. Although, I did complete my degree and so have many others. It is possible, just requires that extra push and support to see it through.

i will deffo give it a try. lol my grammer is not great anyway im affraid and sometimes i just need to get it out there, but when im not that bad i will try to add punctuation. i have my second dbt session tomorrow, we will see how that turns out

when i left school i went to college to do a chef course but could not handle the stress of cooking and put me off it ever since.iv also done training in gas laying on the main roads but because i left my job a little after completeing the training bacause i was being abused, they would not give me my cirtificate so i had to wipe my mouth and move on. i dont think i could work there anyway, it was a very manual job and my body could not handle it

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Unfortunately it is common for mental health problems to cause mild cognitive impairments =[

Just give yourself time and patience :)

I thought this was just me! I have had a very similar experience - was bright all the way through school, could learn anything and remember everything. Nowadays I struggle to remember things from one minute to the next and people can mention conversations I've had with them earlier in the week for example which I have no recollection of at all.

I had linked my slowed down brain to beginning a bigger cocktail of drugs when I was hospitalised but I guess that was when my mental health was at its worse too (hence the need for the drugs). Is one or the other more to blame or is it that both things cause it?

Also, do these mild cognitive impairments ever get better? If they do is it only if you take no meds and have no residual metal health issues at all? Sorry, lots of questions - anyone know any of the answers?!

I have these problems.

Do they ever go?

Is there any way of turning life around and getting a professional job?

Or is this it forever?

I find it so hard that there never seems to be any clear prognosis for mental health problems.

during periods of higher stress the struggles are most prominent, but during times of encourage, support, or approval. It is surprising how much it pushes to the back of the mind. This is why I say that having extra support is important to being able to achieve educational goals.

i have no support like that around me i feel as i have no one around me they all seem shut off emotionly, that even tho there are loads of people around me, i still have no one. none can give the support i need

Archived