Mental Health Forums

Pay It Forward

yvette

I watched this film years ago and its one of my favourites. But due to a sad ending I can no longer watch it. Anyhoo it really made a difference to my life. Its about a school boy who does a school project and comes up with an idea. To do something nice for someone and all you ask in return is that they do something nice for someone else and then ask them to pay it forward. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone done that. Have you ever done something nice for someone if so what? Also has any films changed or effected the way you go about your life. Sorry if you think this is nonsense but I'm in a happy smiley nonsense mood. If I go into a pub and there is an elderly man sitting I always leave a pint behind the bar for them when I leave ( but never say who from) mainly because they remind me of my granfather. Who I loved dearly. :) so there's an upside to having bpd!

Stigmata... Gave me an alternitive view on religion, one that i could relate too more than my mundane RC upbringing that had been drummed into me before i could even walk or talk x

It most certainly is not a nonsense :) It really is a wonderful way to live..I try to be kind hearted and fair in my reltionships with people. I don't always succeed though for reasons having to do with me, my moods, struggles and whatnot, but with others as well as it's inevitable that one comes in contact with selfish, greedy and not so good people in their lifetime.

I regard this as something nice...On Tuesday afternoon I got off the tram and was thinking what tram I should take next and what I should do in the first place before my session with this kid I have sessions with. There was a bunch of adolescents there and one of them was playing with a lighter. He told me to feel free to walk through the passage he was blocking and that he wouldn't hurt me with the lighter (he obvioulsy thought that was the reason why I was standing still looking pensive and whatnot.) I smiled at him and said: No thanks, I am just thinking what I should do next and am waiting for a tram. He said OK in a very friendly way. Lots of people see those kids as hooligans and would just murmur something and walk away, I wanted to openly show him friendliness and kind spirit.

Very true. I believe they are mostly harmless. I spoke to the manager of a local coffee shop I go in regulary between buses and told him how his staff are so friendly. Most people happily complain but don't compliment.I must be having one of my I love everyone days! Lol :D x

Very true. I believe they are mostly harmless. I spoke to the manager of a local coffee shop I go in regulary between buses and told him how his staff are so friendly. Most people happily complain but don't compliment.I must be having one of my I love everyone days! Lol :D x

About films..I honestly don't remember, there have been many films that have had some kind of impact on me, that made me ponder about some things in life. What does come to my mind is this film "Speak". It's a film about rape.I haven't been raped, however just like her, at one point in my life I refused to speak, I spent most of my time alone. In my case, it was a combination of OCD, PTSD (the war) and adolescence. The film just helped me understand it was OK that I stopped talking, that it was OK....that I was not alone. And how art has an amazing healing power. In my case it's poetry..I write poems.

I found so much comfort in some of the things she utters... like: "It happened. There is no avoiding it. No forgetting (...) I wonder how long it would take for anyone to notice if I just stopped talking"

The latter utterance helped me realize why I stopped talking at one point in my past which now seems so distant as if it never happened.. The former one I bring to my mind whenever something brings me dispelasure or causes pain. I say those words to myself regardless of the initial context in which they were used in the film..they help me face things.

Im incredibly passionate about trying to be a good person,to me that means;kind,helping,caring,non judgemental,honest etc

Many movies have made an impact on me but cant think of anything specific right now.

today

was this paying forward??

there are 2 'digger' men - who have been working on laying a new water main - since beginning of september

they are always friendly to us, will stop chat and even turn the digger off when we walk past because they know it scares the dog

lots of dogs love them because they give them biscuits

our dog tries to get into their van now !!

so today we were late walking, when we got there the senior man was in deep trench, in pouring rain, trying to join pipes, with an umbrella balanced over the hole,

standing in water and mud,

he had flu last week,

he is coughing and struggling and in a crap mood wanting to go home

we only went that way so we could GIVE them packets of biscuits (since our dog has had loads of theirs)

hope it made his day just a bit better

I loved Pay it Forward. I remember late one night channel hopping and came across the film, it was about 30 minutes in, and there were no add breaks, so didnt know what the film was called (it was before digital). I then went and bought the film.

I remember ages later watching Jamie Oliver being interviewed, and he said he saw PIF late one night and it had such a strong impact on him, he felt he had to do something. And that was how his restaurant 15 came about.

'At the heart of the business is a desire to enable young people to believe in themselves, to show them their past can be left behind and persuade them the future is theirs to create'. - thats from their website. Also all their profit goes to local charity.

I also read of people who make little things like bookmarks, and paint pictures on blank postcards, or make friendship bracelets etc, they add little tags saying that it is a gift for you, and leave them in random public places, so that anyone can pick them up and take them home. They include a website address, so finders can post their thanks or make comments. It's amazing how these little things can touch peoples hearts. Unfortunately I can no longer remember the website involved.

Archived