Mental Health Forums

Pregablin?

Jinxsta

....this is what my cpn wants to try me on for anxiety.... I remember someone gave me some to take recreationally before, think i had about six and felt like i was paralytic and happy but hadn't had a drink.

Anyone been on them? experiences?

She wants to try these because i told her seems only that benzos curb my anxiety.... we all know theres more chance of getting run over than a longterm benzo script.

xx xx xx

I was on them for a while, then back to benzo's! I can't remember what happened I was very ill, I've been on benzo's for over 20 years now so they give up on the old people!

Ah, it really bugs me Maddison.. "oh nooooo we can't give you benzos.." I get 7 temazepam a week and 7 5mg Diazepam, i've never abused them, only taken them when i've needed them... I just need a longer acting one so I can prevent the anxiety rather than keep curing it temporarily... and they wonder why people do illegal drugs and buy prescription drugs online.

xx xx xx

They are starting to put strict prescribing regulations on Benzo's and Z-drugs a lot more these days because they a so highly addictive. In the long term for anxiety, if you become tolerent to the dose you are taking, it makes your anxiety worse, much worse.

This is why people tend to abuse them eventually, to curb any tolerence withdrawals causing said anxiety and ill feelings once you've been on them for a while.

Also, you don't have to abuse them to become dependent or addicted. All you have to do is continually take them. After a while you will find your anxiety will worsen, they are not as effective as they once were for sleep or calming you down, you start to feel a wide variety of withdrawal symptoms. Which often the people taking them are unaware of the reasons for this, they just assume they are becoming unwell, both mentally and physically and don't quite realise it's most likely the tablets.

This is the thin line where many people can often step over into abusing them to stave off these ill feelings. They figure out that if they take an extra tablet, it makes them feel better. Then they become tolerent to that extra daily tablet and all the ill feelings start to flood back, so they take another and it makes them feel better *Rinse Cycle Repeat*.

Believe me, i was one of them. I'm now on the long arduous journey of doing a slow taper to get off these things. I've been doing it for 10 months, and likely will be doing it for another year. Cold turkey or extremely rapid tapers are a no no, as it can be quite dangerous and will cripple you physically and emotionally for quite some time.

Of course you can get some people who abuse them straight from the word go, but the majority become addicted accidentally.

Benzo's are not a cure for anxiety, they are just a plaster over a deep festering wound that will only give you relief for a short while and then start to make things worse again. There is no longer acting Benzo then Diazepam, this is why it's used so commonly in slow tapers for the Benzo and Z-drug dependent and addicted.

Prescribing you more will only end up giving you short relief and then you will become tolerent to the higher dose and will ultimately need more to make you feel normal again. I would hazard a guess that you are already tolerent and dependent to the dose you are already prescribed.

Aurora :)

hi

i take 300mg of pregablin twice a day and for me they r a life saver. i have gone from stuttering in front of people, sweating to the point of having to change clothes when i got home, soaking wet hair, shakes, heart racing like it was going to explode to being able to tolerate being around people, no sweats, no stuttering etc etc. i dont feel any negative effects from taking them at all and for the first time in at least 6 years i am now able to leave the house and start building a life for myself and my kids. it is worth a try cos if they work u will be so chuffed and if they dont u havent lost anything. hope this helps cheers spud

I have been prescribed Pregabalin in the past for crippling anxiety and it did work for me. I was on a whole cocktail of other drugs at the time as well but there was a definite change in my anxiety symptoms when the Pregabalin kicked in. Getting the dosage right took a bit of tweeking but on the whole my experience with it was a fairly positive one.

Thanks for the replies,

just an update;

The shrink has started me on the slow and low because of my kidney probs.. 25mg twice a day for a week, then 50mg twice a day for a week 75mg twice a day for week then 100mg the same, and increase if needed. The shrink said not to expect any effect because the dose is so low, he also said it takes a while to kick in.

Took 25mg last night... after a couple of hours i was falling asleep sitting up, something I very rarely do.. so went to sleep about 10 i think, awoke at 11:30 today feeling what could only be described as drunk, but i cant say it was a negative experience, i was giggling away at myself trying to carry out small tasks and failing. The location of my left kidney felt empty, like my kidney has been removed, an empty feeling is the only way to describe it. My energy felt pretty low and i didnt give a shit about anything, wasn't even bothered about cleaning .....a couple of hours later, I forced myself out to the shops... was a bit slow and dopey, and sure people were staring me but hey-ho.

Now, i'm chilled, i've got no emotion what-so-ever...numb... im not complaining im much better feeling this way than having the anxiety... just a bit confused that i have got an affect straight away when the doc said it would take time to kick-in. Anyone know?

xx xx xx

Archived