Mental Health Forums

The Negative Implications Of Discharge From Mental Health Services

successful_workthru

While it is a good thing to be discharged from mental health services when you recover, it can make people who are still not well vulnerable.

For instance, in our area our team only deal with patients who are in the throes of mental illness and are a present danger to themselves or others.

Patients who have got illnesses or problems get discharged once they are out of the danger zone and no longer need treatment.

I got told that patients are only under the care of the mh services for as short a time as possible while they need them.

This can make mentally ill people who are not going through an active phase of their illness vulnerable. For instance, if they are on benefits, and they cannot put the name of a care co-ordinator on their form, Atos and the DWP assume they are well enough to work.

Also, if they are homeless and are vulnerable, if they do not have a current care co-ordinator, they go to the bottom of the waiting list and wait for donkeys years for accommodation like well people on the waiting list. This can make them more vulnerable.

I maybe sounding negative but this creates a big problem for many people, and, ultimately because they are not coping the stress can make them worse, thus costing the mental health services more money ultimately.

Are things really this bad, or are we not quite at that stage yet?

thanks

I think in some places in England it is as you describe. I use other forums and people complain of being discharged straight after crisis from the NHS.

Thanks.

I have recently been accepted as a member of www.keyring.org, which is funded by the council and they support vulnerable adults.

TRIGGER~ WARNING

In 2009 I purchased a special suicide hood from a business in america who made them especially to fit onto helium cannisters in accordance with Derek Humphry's "The Final Exit" but I could not get hold of pure helium so I never carried out the act. *I later found out that this method is not fool proof and people have been rendered vegetables after using this method even after following correct procedure and using proper equipment.

Anyway, the FBI busted this business and the found a list of people who had purchased the sui kit. They found my name and got in touch with the local police and an investigator from the Vulnerable Adult section contacted my then mh social worker and intervewed us both together.

When I told my keyworker from Keyring.org this he told his boss. The boss came to my house today as I needed to sign some paperwork to say I had become a member of Keyring. The boss of my keyworker told me that he spoke to mental health services and they said that I can phone them in an emergency only as they are not currently working with me. He thinks that they may be able to vouch for me if I need to be assessed by the DWP for sickness benefit. He also told me that I am now on the vulnerable adults list.

Hunni how do you feel about all this? Sounds scary that you bought a mask.

I'm just trying to stay away from getting that low again. It's difficult though because I am worried about losing benefits and my home and I don't trust my family. I am glad that I am classed as a vulnerable adult though because that shows that someone is acknowledging me.

Trigger too suicide content

many years ago I worked in a hospital and worked with a patient who had tried to kill himself in a similar way and was basically a vegetable as it hadnt worked but he had severe brain damage, he could walk and eat but that was about it. It was very sad, so I hope people don't consider this as an option.

swt, Its awful that you got to that point but its good that they took you seriously xxx

Hi Christine and thanks

They didn't take me seriously untill recently when Keyring.org got involved.

It is really unhelpful when you get discharged so quickly. After a crisis but when I was a bit better I got discharged once and then felt i had to do something worse than before so they would take me seriously. It didn't work till i spelled out to my GP that a successful sui was inevitable as things were because each time I had a crisis it was worse than the time before and MH services always saw me 2-3 times and discharged me till next time. After that I was given a cpn on a longer term basis which helped a lot. I'm lucky though because I live somewhere where the service is available.

It is really unhelpful when you get discharged so quickly. After a crisis but when I was a bit better I got discharged once and then felt i had to do something worse than before so they would take me seriously. It didn't work till i spelled out to my GP that a successful sui was inevitable as things were because each time I had a crisis it was worse than the time before and MH services always saw me 2-3 times and discharged me till next time. After that I was given a cpn on a longer term basis which helped a lot. I'm lucky though because I live somewhere where the service is available.

I am glad you got help but sorry to hear you had to reach such a low point to get it.

i have a care co, i did have a cpn but she went of sick, and got care co instead, not sure what the difference is to be honest, and i have access to crisis team out of hours and after last admission i now have in my care plan that i can have a 72 hour respite period in hosp, once a month, if i was in crisis and now for the first time i have a support worker for up to 18 months, this is all new apart from the care co as i had that before hosp.

but i do notice they started treating me diagnosis towards the end of my hosp stay and not my presentation, ie i could have a serious sui attempt and not be put on visual obs etc, where if i was bi polar or anything else i am sure they would have taken it more seriously.

i have a care co, i did have a cpn but she went of sick, and got care co instead, not sure what the difference is to be honest, and i have access to crisis team out of hours and after last admission i now have in my care plan that i can have a 72 hour respite period in hosp, once a month, if i was in crisis and now for the first time i have a support worker for up to 18 months, this is all new apart from the care co as i had that before hosp.

but i do notice they started treating me diagnosis towards the end of my hosp stay and not my presentation, ie i could have a serious sui attempt and not be put on visual obs etc, where if i was bi polar or anything else i am sure they would have taken it more seriously.

I am glad you are getting lots of support and sorry that your diagnosis rather than how you present is getting treated.

Stay safe.

its lucky that i am automatically classed as a vulnerable adult as i am blind. Thats b4 my bpd On top

You have a lot to deal with.

I used to work with a blind girl. We used to do admin and alot of our job was pc based.

This girl was born totally blind and she had some equipment that would enable her to use a computer.

She also had a guide dog.

She was multi talented and a pleasure to be around, and she made me laugh once, because she said she got frustrated because they would not let her drive into work.

Archived