Mental Health Forums

Bpd And E.d

nikij89

Does anybody have BPD and suffer from eating disorders?

I was first diagnosed with anorexia 2 years ago and only recently got my diagnosis for the BPD, from researching I can see that it is linked.

Although now with the medication I am putting weight on and finding it incredibly difficult to cope.

Anyone relate?

Hey, yeh the two are often co morbid. I had an eating disorder a couple of years ago and while it isn't as prominent i think the disordered thoughts are hard to get rid of.

My meds are making me put on weight now that i'm coming off them and am finding it incredibly hard to deal with it sensibly. ED thoughts are definitely flaring up.

How does your ED affect you?

It affects me in every way possible. It controls my life just as much as the BPD.

I'm constantly thinking I can't eat certain things and I will deprive myself. Always checking calorie and fat contents.

Although when I go in a low mood (a million times each day) I have the need to binge eat which I did do but have started to gain a bit more control.

I don't know if your aware of slimming tablets but I take illegal supplements like they are going out of fashion which then affects my BPD.

Feel like I'm losing the will to live and everything I do theres a consequence. :/

Do I sound insane?

No you don't sound insane hun you sound like you're struggling.

Is there anything that makes your ed worse and any way to try and keep it more under control?

Yeh i've used things like that in the past, how do they affect your bpd?

Do you think support around your ed would help?

Is sad in a way, they appear as a way of us having some control, but can end up controlling our lives.

xx

Alot of it for me was society, the need to be thin and 'liked'

The main triggers are:

- weighing my self - so I avoid it

- looking in the mirror - can't avoid it as much

- just looking down at my self, I will tell my self I have put weight on and I'm massively fat or whatever.

- eating, in any way, I think food is the devil and it will make me fat.

I don't know really how they affect the BPD but I kind of become obsessive on them, though some I have had in the past had class A drugs in them and there was a 'comedown' of them. I don't know about support, I have always struggled with confidence with my looks and weight though.

I did at one point go the gym every day and have control over the ED but it slowly phazed out the lower I got so the BPD and ED trigger themself off together. BPD controls my motivation to go and ED tell me I'm fat and I need to go but BPD wins then ED takes over my thoughts and BPD worsens.

If that makes sense?

xxx

Yes I have an ED (for 7 years now) and have recently (this year) been diagnosed with BPD and have been informed that the two are related and that my ED covered up my BPD for a long time because when I got better form my ED for a while the BPD came out to shine.

The two are very much intertwined, one gets better the other gets worse and vice versa. It's a catch 22 to be honest. xx

newbie here, i have a lot of symptoms of bpd that im now starting to try and get help with that but i am also constantly being told i am getting too thin by my friends and family, if i dont stay thin it makes me feel so terrible, but i do feel i am slightly obsessed with calorie counting and i weigh myself twice a day and cant walk passed a mirror without looking at myself sideways to check i dont look too fat i also use calorie and bmi calculators often and i lie to people about my weight. then at the weekend il starve myself all day and pig out on a takeaway at night. I keep telling myself im a size 8, its healthy so therefore i dont have a problem.?! Starting to wonder if there is anything normal about me :confused02:

Hey hunni.

U sound exactly like me. I'm a size 8 yet I'm convinced I'm fat. I starve myself thinkin foods the devil but then other times I binge horrifically.

Maybe u should speak to ur doctor.

I personally think bpd and eating disorders work against each other and constantly a battle.

Just remember no1s normal :)

Xxx

I'm slightly worried about going to the doctor for the bpd because I don't want to be told I have an ed which is stupid I know but I almost like how I look I don't want to put on weight. I have far to many clothes for that anyway ;) we are supposed to be having a Chinese take away for tea tonight I'm already planning what to sacrifice and feel guilty about it :-( argh today isn't a good day !!

Oh no. Thats no good. I'm stuck really as I know I'm putting weight on an I think it's due to the medication for the bpd. Try a diet plan an try to self help if ud prefer to not speak to the doctor but don't get stuck an go worse babe xxx

i've got anorexia and buliia and i have had them both since i was 14 and i'm 28 now, and i still struggle with them from time to time. the more stressed i am the worse they get. .

Archived