Mental Health Forums

Should I Have Skin Graft?

ILostHer

I have borrowed the money from 2 people, it's to cover up a mess I made up on my forearm. But it will look like a burn.

Would you spend your life having to wear a bandage to hide it or would you get the skin graft?

I feel bad because it's self afflicted. People get burnt and have no choice. I feel very selfish having it done.

What do you think? It'll be quite big, my inside forearm.

Thanks.

Edit. I am down on the waiting list to have this done, which made me feel even more guilty because it would be done on the NHS. Which is why I have borrowed the money.

I know its hard not to feel guilty but you deserve the skin graft as much as much as anyone else...its an illness which caused the sh after all.

If you have borrowed money and put yourself on a waiting list, then your forearm must be troubling you a lot...therefore I think a skin graft would be a good idea.

Do you think it will make a good difference to the way you feel when you see your arm? xxx

people have tattoos removed all the time .... don't feel guilty if this is going to make a positive difference to you then do it

( i brought up the tattoo thing as an example )

which i have heard you can get done on the nhs aswell .... hoping this is helpful puts your mind at ease that its ok to this don't put yourself in dept if this can be done on the nhs

i think what it makes me think of is would you rather people know its sh, or ask what happened and you have to think up a cover story. do you think you would feel ok having it out as a skin graft? might be an idea to look at some pics and see if you could deal with it looking like that.

another thing to think hun is would you be able to not sh over the graft? honestly. cos then hun youd have a massive burn covered in scars.

have bad scarring myself and was told its the only thing that would make a difference, decided against it myself.

really not trying to put you off hun if you think you can handle all these things will be good if it makes you feel better xxx

i have been told if i burn my right hand again, i will need a skin graft, not convinced myself as my hand has healed really well, it just looks redder than my other and slight scarring, tho it does turn blue when i am cold! may have damaged some of circulation. i find it very hard not to self harm again in the same place, i am trying my best not to sh at all, hubby off wk so its harder to sh/sui as he would stop me!

I have decided to have it done, thanks for your replies.

I would feel a million times better looking at my arm with the skin graft. At the moment I feel sick when I look at it. I can't look at it.

My psych has to say to the private hospital if I am emotionally fit enough to have this done but I know he will because he already referred me for a graft on the nhs.

I will feel bad about lying about why I had it done, but I can't tell the truth. Not even on here really. xxx

Archived