Mental Health Forums

End Of Dbt

*debz*

Well my year of dbt is coming to an end, and sadly i have found it not to have been much help, the last few weeks i have struggled to keep going every week. Most of the skills you are taught are common sense, and one to one with my therapist never really touch on my issues or problems only where they have come from. Im 46 i worked that out years ago!!!!

It has not helped my social anxiety and being around people. A year on and i still cant face being around people. I dont self harm any more and didnt before dbt, and i have not drunk alcohol for well over a year (learnt big big mistake for me) so that should be a good thing right??? BUT i stay indoors on my own with no friends because thats how i managed my behaviours and im still here on my own a year in of dbt! Therapist thinks i have done great in dbt NO SELF HARM OR BAD BEHAVIOURS. THATS BECAUSE I DONT HAVE A LIFE!!!! its the way i coped and still do with bpd.

Personally i think i would of been better off trying rape and sexual abuse counselling and relate with my children as i still can not have the relationship i would like with them, as i find it so difficult to get close hug or show affection to them because my ex husband raped me when we spilt and its him i see when i try to get close to them. i was also sexually abused by my brother from the age of five, none of this was covered in one to one with therapist, should it have been?????

really disappointed with it all to be honest had high hopes to start with and willing to give it everything. I hope anyone starting or doing dbt has better luck with it than i did, some people it works for and some it doesnt i guess but dont think its made up to be all that. good luck anyway.

Hi,

Sorry You didn't get much from it... typically, no they wont delve into past issues... I think the purpose is to get you out of immediate danger, although your not a self-harmer BPD emotions are soooo intense that it COULD all get too much and you COULD end up SH'ing or worse... I think its supposed to teach us how to deal with "fall-out" skilfully .. and then if need be once a person is out the danger zone, they can then do other therapies to go into the past and have the skills to cope with all the hard stuff that comes up.

xx xx xx

I'm sorry that the DBT wasn't as helpful as you'd hoped. It all sounds very frustrating. Would you consider now going for Rape & SA counselling? x

Archived