Mental Health Forums

Mods Replying.

Maddison

they were the people who did the supporting hun - not the mods. but we havent had any active ones for a little while maybe. the only one i know is/was still peer supporter is that owenmanuel bloke but he never logs on...

maybe someone needs to talk to lily about this stuff cos she ran them so maybe she could tell us why we dont have them anymore...

would be a nice thing to have if possible to bring it back.

if it's still going i would be interested in volunteering

i think you would make a good one hun :)

i was one but my internet isnt stable enough to be able to do the live support thing and i couldn't be a peer supporter without doing that so i resigned...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a peer supporter too but resigned when I lost my mum I just went downhill and couldn't show the support I once did but I will do it again soon one day as I told Lily.x

Hi Maddison,

Going back to what i was saying when i said i used to be a full Mod and it's a hard job. I have been here for years, nearly 5 and half (although in that time, not the most prolific poster). When i was asked to be a Mod here i was honoured.

I did everything i was asked, and tried my best to give as much objective support as i could in the time i had spare. Unfortunately after a while i found myself on a daily basis having to keep the peace with thread after thread of argumentative topics and disagreements that always turned incredibly nasty.

In the end this started to run me down and was unable to give my support because everytime i came on i was always having to deal with these things. I then decided that this was not the right thing for me.

Unfortunately controversial and argumentative topics are always going to have members flock to them, which takes a lot of attention away from threads that should be replied to, sadly this is the same on every forum.

I'm happy being a Mini Mod, although i still do a lot of Moderating type tasks, but personally at this point in my life i would find being a full Moderator quite stressful.

If you were given the choice, would you become a Moderator?

Aurora :)

P.s. This s not something i'm posting to make you or anyone feel guilty, so i hope it's not coming across that way. I'm just sharing my own personal experience.

i said it nicely aurora. don't snap at me when im trying to help

I wasn't snapping at you Pan, i was just stating what happened. Sorry if it camr across that way.

Aurora :)

Aurora I can understand why you decided not to continue, we all have to find the right balance in our life.

I think I would probably be the worst mod on earth! About 5 years ago I was very active on a forum, it was a small place, mainly Christians with depression. The owners mistook me for a potential moderator, I mistook myself, with out shameful detail it was ugly......I had 1 piece of advice to any one that annoyed me, complained, questioned... "GO BEFORE I BAN YOU".

It was an experience for us all!

Hi :)

As some questions where raised I thought Id try to answer the ones I can;

-Indeed this is a peersupport forum,which means that we set it up with the idea that peers can help each other best as they can relate to each other.Staff is there to keep things running smoothly.

-Mods would like to be more involved I think but we have only 2 mods right now and theyre very busy just dealing with reports etc dont think they have much time left to get involved.

-Its really hard for us to find/get more good mods so theyre around and involved more. Its a hard job,not many are suited and weve had some bad experiences.

-We do not have many peersupporters anymore because a portion behaved badly as in nasty and a lot of them who had commited to doing livechats 1 hour a week, never did them.So I guess again bad experiences.

-If you guys would like peersupporters here on the forum with the job to support others by posting replies we will certainly consider that.

-Minimods are moderators too and people like Aurora do loads of work here! Youve no idea I think what she deals with daily.

-Josh is enormously busy all the time wth things behind the scenes but I try to be here and also answer posts when Im not busy with other stuff.

Oh and its true the forum has gone more quiet then usual,I do not know why.However if you look around youll see its still busier then most forums out there.

Hi I have not been.here long, so do.not know the history of the place but it seems maddison you are feeling as though the.moderators should have a little.more.input? Which is understandable if you have seen this in other forums.

Aurora said, i believe, moderators here don't do that job, they work behind the scenes.

Maybe Madison this is something youcould suggest to the admin? If many people feel the same way and mods agree, being a peer support site I would.imagine it would be put to youas a forum.

As for this place being quiet, I would say it appears so, but then many of replies are still happening. So that is good.

Just another thought, other volunteers like offline, samaritans etc get full training, support, and are trained support professionally, that is not the case here. It seems from reading staff are just members. So they may have experience first hand, but may not have the skills to.support everyone else, or I'm guessing they would be ok themselves if they did.

Sorry about any typos I am on.my phone.

-We do not have many peersupporters anymore because a portion behaved badly as in nasty and a lot of them who had commited to doing livechats 1 hour a week, never did them.So I guess again bad experiences.

could you have 2 sorts of peer supporter then cos it seems a shame for the place to lose all peer supporters cos people cant do live support. i know personally how much easier it is to support on the boards when you have time to think about what you say rather than in a live situation where i know a lot of us would get flustered and worry about saying the wrong thing to someone in crisis.

i am a peer supporter , just dont ave title, means I have more freedom to come and go as i please, lots of people here are peer supporters too and whats more I know lily and josh do a great job,

i think as a mod i do most work behind the scenes, i can and if i see some topics that i can relate to or feel that i can advice or just support i do that too .... most times i read through a topic and i see that what i would have said has already been said, or has a lot of support ..... and other topics where sides could be taken and that's just not me i won't take sides .... plus as said we are only members who have been asked to do a little volunteering to this site, when i do reply i always offer to be pm'ed any time .....

i did also do peersupporting for awhile as way back years ago i did take a years course in counselling, that didn't help me as its different on the net than real life, you can be miss read on the net very easily, which could be very upsetting to those that are asking for support ..... i agree that my replys are thinly spread across the boards,

and that support from else where would be ok if trained to do so but would this mean a raise in costs?

maddison this is a good topic raised for two reasons to let our members talk about the support that is available here.... and to also see what mods mini mods do it may not look a lot at times ....its a working progress :)

A lot of our livechat vols are counsellors in training.

I have had training,am still training to be a counsellor also and have a certificate in DBT coaching.

Josh is a qualified social worker.

I dont know if more qualified people here is what we need,the idea of peersupport is what Josh set this forum up with. There are many places to get professional help,the idea is for this to be a place where likeminded people can chat and support each other. Sort of like a selfhelp group. Research has shown that groups such a these can be very beneficial as extra support and help for those that need it. Therapy and proffessional help is important,peersupport has a value of its own. We can learn a lot from each other for instance. We can talk to people who truly understand. We can share or not share as we see fit.

This is meant to be a safe place,not linked to therapy or RL,to be yourself,to share things you maybe dont dare to share elsewhere,to vent,to whine.Your place to use as suits you!

This is the ideal the place was set up with and to change it by involving proffessionals on these boards more would change the essence of the boards.

However we are more then willing to discuss things like more peersupporters.We are always open for discussion and changing things if we feel it would benefit you guys!

• 1 month later...

Archived