Mental Health Forums

More Meds?

lauraw2693

I'm on 4 meds already plus prn and was talking to my support worker earlier after an episode in A&E and they want me to have a psych appointment really soon and want me on another anti psychotic.. how do you know when too many is too many or which ones are doing what?! I have DID and BPD, thanks.

do they mean another antip as in additional or a different one...?

i know that they do prescribe some meds to counteract the side effects of others. i was on 2 ads once - one as an ad and the other for its sedative properties which they prescribed in a low dose. this went on for ages until i persuaded them to just let me have the low dose one as the ad and stop the pointless one that i didnt like and that was causing the sleep problem in the first place!

the point of telling you this is, do you think maybe you have so many cos they all work on different things and they have added to rather than switched. maybe you can ask if there is a more streamlined drug combination that would be better than just slapping another one down on your script.

like there are some ads that also help with sleep and anxiety so they can prescribe them on their own rather than an ad, an antianx and a sedative prescribed separately... if you get what i mean.

like apple said, maybe it is time for a clear out med wise. although that will in itself have issues re tapering and stuff. you may have to be prepared for a few weeks/month of hell before you see some results.

could be worth having this kind of conversation with your pdoc when you get your appointment i think.

I can't be admitted they want to keep me out of hospital and taking me off them all would take a while and some are helping with some things.. I know they won't get rid of my alters speaking and I don't want them to but there are also external voices who shout at me to kill myself. I want to get rid of them!

They mean an additional med I think because this one is actually helping a bit. Its hard because the anti psychotic calms me a bit, the beta blocker I need for panic attacks, the anti depressant does level my moods sometimes and the sleeping pills keep me having a normal amount of sleep.. then just diazepam for when things get too much..

Archived