Mental Health Forums

Eating Problems

donnam

i guess this is not an eating disorder as such, but approx 2 week ago i have gone off food, i am not trying to starve myself tho i am over weight, but i just dont feel hungry, and i am hardly eating. atm i have a chest infection, but it started before that. i am worried that i quite like the fact i barely have to eat, and hope it will mean i lose lots of weight.

has sudden loss of appetite for no apparent reason happened to anyone else? and do i need to be concerned that i am happy i bearly have to eat? i am eating well under the calorie count for a day etc.

is this how anorexia begins? i am trying to lose weight, i have diet pills off gp which i got today but not to take til am better, think i need to lose approx 4 stone to make me happy! ie size 8-10 (english sizes)

any advice much appreciated

cad

Hi, Cadence

Are you sure you haven't just been off your food because you've been ill? I do that all the time.

Maybe your body just doesn't need food as much anymore - although I suppose it is quite unusual that this has suddenly came on I wouldn't be too worried. You're appetite will probably come back but - if it were me I'd be glad I was losing weight without having to do any work too :)

Anorexia is a condition in your brain not your body (although it obviously has physical effects in the long run) and in most cases is an obssession with losing weight - most anorexics have a sort of phobia of food. I am not anorexic myself but have close friends who are so I hope I have described it okay!

By the sounds of things you are losing weight healthily and your loss of appetite seems natural rather than forced so I think you should be fine. I hope your weight loss goes well - if you feel you need to post in here at any point if you think you have gone too far or even just need a bit of moral support I'm sure everyone will be happy to help!

Ukulele xxx

uggh! how do i put this without offending,.....i started e.d. at age eight. at age 23 i was marked "terminal for anorexia" i'm 35 now n recovered with a beautiful 2 1/2 year old. if i could describe anorexia it would be a severe fear of food, a constant obsession to loose more each day to feel ok and it's an obsession to be perfect n there by being perfectly thin u believe noone will know otherwise , it's a coping mechanism as much as it is a compulsion to be thin n thiner n thinner! it's about u feel like there's something in ur life u can control but shortly after it becomes an evil obsession where by ur willing to loose everyone in ur life n u don't care a bit cuz u think that's what is making u proud n sustaining u. i remember cooking for others n i actually got so crazy with it i thought if i smelled the food i was cooking i'd gain weight! u don't want that , it's ok at first but it gets horrific n then it's ur life n it's very hard to find a way out! right now u feel unwell n don't feel like eating, u may feel like it's a bonus cuz maybe u want to loose weight ....do it in the right way, work it off when ur well..learn good eating habits u will be proud then n feel like u accomplished something intead of falling into a life long trap that ends ur life quite quickly xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archived