Mental Health Forums

Convo I Had With My Therapist

Fanta

Spoke with my therapist earlier as I have been in quite a state with the thought of therapy coming to an end, I told her exactly how I felt and she asked does it feel like she was abandoning me in which I said yeah... She said well this is short term therapy in which I knew from the beginning, I am having major problems dealing with therapy ending though, She offered an extra session and is going to call me again after christmas and also wanted me to see her just after christmas in which I couldn't do as I have another appointment.

She keeps saying about working with another therapist but I am not sure about this, I have some major issues trusting and opening up, I know that it will take time but my therapist right now seem's to understand me, what if my next one doesn't get me? My CPN said she is going refer me to a very good therapist but I like the one now. This is so hard, Every time I think about it I cry, I know it sounds pathetic, I haven't done therapy before besides group therapy and that was so long ago in which was mostly men.

I see my Pdoc on Wednesday so maybe he could talk with my therapist as I know that the two of them have been communicating.

I understand. I too am having a hard time dealing with my therapy ending soon - and along with it all of my support full stop.

I think it is so hard for people who have known issues with endings and abandonment to have to go through it so much, particularly if you are offered short term therapy where the endings are inevitably more frequent. I know it is unavoidable if you want to access support but it feels so much like people are rubbing salt into the wound.

And the whole trust thing is a major problem too - it takes people with a lot of mh issues huge amounts to place trust in anyone and when you have a therapist you really connect with it is impossibly difficult to break that just because the system says you have to. I know no-one can have everlasting therapy and indeed it would be terribly restricting if they did but knowing that doesn't make it less hard to leave one.

My pdoc told me at my penultimate appt last week that it is extremely important I experience an ending like this that is so difficult and learn that I can get myself through it and come out the other end. But what if I can't?? - right now it seems impossible, what makes him so sure, he doesn't have to deal with it!

In my more positive moments I try and look at it along the same lines as the saying 'it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all' - maybe you can see it like that too. Obviously I don't mean to attach the same romantic connotations(!) but you could say that it is better to have experienced good therapy and a trusting relationship with a therapist and learnt things from this and then have to leave them than not to have met them at all. At least you know that you can have a good working relationship with someone you have learnt to trust which should offer a little hope if you start again with a new person. Sure, it will be really hard again at first but you know it can work. Likewise, if you find that therapeutic relationship not to be as useful then maybe will you have the confidence to try again sometime when appropriate or feasible in the future.

I hope that makes sense and is some help to you. Good luck with getting through it.

Hi Growly

I'm glad that your therapist is supportive and that you were able to tell her how you feel about the ending.. it's understandable you're feeling sad, angry, abandoned at the therapy ending. And also scared that you'll never be able to trust another therapist or they won't be as good as your current one.

Really hope you're ok today

Jenny xx

Thank you both.

artemis sorry that you're going through the same :( and thanks for understanding, Jenny you have been a great support to me.x

I think maybe it is because this is my first ever therapist? I don't know if I knew this was going to be so hard I wouldn't of ever done this in the first place, My next therapist might not be as understanding I know that I am thinking negative, I just want to stay with this one but I know that is impossible :( xx

hugs hun, can relate, my care co went off sick, for 6 months finally after long wait got another one, and felt rejected by first one as she was back at work by this point, then new cpn who i got used to and liked went off sick so went thru it all again, to get the care co i had originally! who compared to my cpn i had just lost was not as motivated to help me. i ended up very confused. my care co is not the most reliable easily goes off sick etc so get let down ALOT, so much so that the hospital "gave her a talking too" before i was discharged!!

• 3 weeks later...

(((huge hugs growly))) i have trust and abandonment issues to so i know what your going through hope that's some consalation xxxx xx

Thanks......

I return to therapy on Monday not been in 4 weeks, It is making me feel quite anxious, I only have 2 sessions left :(

She called me just after christmas to see how I was doing and wants a meeting with myself and my CPN.

No idea when this will be yet.x

Archived