Mental Health Forums

Help With Creating A Healthy Eating Plan Please Xx

CrippleAndStarfish

Hey lovelies.

My eating has gone tits up again, and im really starting to notice the impact of it on both head and body. I really need your help to put together a healthy meal plan that isnt too demanding to stick to (not a lot of time spent stood over oven etc as stupid body will protest - hopefully a good diet will go some way to helping me manage more in time though).

I want to aim for 3 meals a day (breakfast, a light lunch, and the main meal being dinner.) does anyone have some healthy snacky options too?

I eat meat - mostly chicken, but also beef, pork. I eat salmon but no other fish or seafood. I love pasta and rice and soups, spices and herbs, love love love veg, drink smoothies and fruit juices....

Can anyone give any suggestions of meals that i could put into my plan please please please? Head is up my arse atm and really need help with thism thanks and love xxxxxx

not very good with menus but my advice would be to get a steamer

one of them electric 3 tiered things

cos they are ace for cooking loads of stuff on your list of likes

spuds, rice, veg etc

i use mine for spuds in the bottom level and the big veg in the one above and little veg in the top. set it to go for about 20 mins, walk away and come back and it is all ready - no waiting for water to boil, no standing by the cooker having to keep an eye on simmering and all perfectly cooked.

you can do fish in it too

and steaming is dead healthy

oooo and also - well easy to wash up too...

easily my best gadget...

Hey villan :) thanks.

I have been wanting a steamer for a while, but dont have a clue what to get. You say a 3 tiered one... Do you actually use all three tiers regularly? I love steamed veg too! Xx will reply properly in a sec sorting thru a meal planner app with S. Xx

Another q - sorry! - am a steamer virgim lol. What veg can you actually do in it?? Thanks and hope you're well xx

i have a tefal steam cuisine 07-1.0l capacity - it's about 7 odd years old but still going strong - cant find it on sale now to show you but there are similar about eg:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_11?url=search-alias%3Dkitchen&field-keywords=tefal%20steamers%20for%20cooking

i mostly use just the 2 tiers these days cos there's just me and i don't need to cook much.

i could use one tier and put the veg in with the spuds but the veg take less time than the spuds but if you put them higher (further away from the steam), they cook slower so they really take the same time if you separate them like that - i hope that makes sense...

it really made a difference to my healthy eating cos i don't like wasting time and effort watching pots boil on a stove.

reading from my recipe booklet that came with the steamer, you can cook all the following:

fish

chicken

veg - all the main ones, so cabbage, carrot, swede, broc, mushrooms spinach, courgette, peas, beans, spuds

rice

eggs

apples and pears

yeah - i'm not too bad thanks for asking, hope yuo are too xxx

I use a steamer that is just a metal device, fits in any pan, a little water in the bottom, does spinach, cabbage, broccoli. Sire it would do any veg but I only use it for those.

Porridge is a good breakfast, my kids have the mircrowave one, pour in the bowl, add milk, zap for 2 mins. Banana, strawberry smoothie, good when bananas are over ripe.

Tortilla wraps, salad, season chicken with any spices you like, fry in olive oil, very easy and healthy. Whole meal wraps.

Thanks so much V, i've just got s to order me one as he understand these things much better than me, it should be delivered between the 20th and the 22nd. Thankyou!!

Xxx

M,ive only recently started having banana stuff, always hated it but got a fresh smoothie the other day from the spa where i get my massages ( am amazed as theyre on offer £10 rather than the usual £19 from start of dec - end of jan. Yippee!) and it was actually nice!s will def be putting bananas in smoothies.. Unsure if i can eat them on their own yet tho lol.

Ive actually never tried porridge, but s has it, so i might have to try it. I know its a good way to get some more fruit into me too.

Have a rough plan, do people think this sounds ok to start with?? -

From tomorrow amd to friday i've got (based just on the food i have in) ...

Breakfast - switch between fresh fruit juice and fresh smoothie to drink, cuppa tea, slice toast, and either bran flakes with sultanas or weetabix with strawberries and grapes.

Lunch - (one thing each day, not all at once lol!) chicken grill with salad, tomato n basil fresh soup, noodles with mushrooms and some sort of sauce, beef broth w chunky veg in it and some bread, orzo pasta salad w toms, cheese and ham panini w salad.

Dinner - salmon w veg ( got a microwave steam selection w broc, cauli n green beans t'other day), mince and dumplings, spag carbonara, chinese pork belly w new pots n veg, spag bol, pork/chicken roast dinner, and i think probably will use this season and shake packet thing for 'rustic chicken' with toms, pots and green beans in it.....

I should be getting a chest freezer this week too so i can start freezing homemade stuff in batches, which will help me loads for when s moves into his new place, esp on cba days, but for now its not too bad as we both eat together so most things are easier to cook for twp rather than single portions.

I know it sounds horrid, but i actually cant wait for him to move out in a way, as i feel so much more independent, minus this latest slip, and it will be nice to have him round for dinner rather than him just slouching over the sofa and asking if i want something popping in oven for me. It will encourage me to do more properly for myself, and altho thats scary, its exciting too!! (hes not moving out on bad terms, just easier for both our kiddies as his son has only met me a couple times so we need to build a rel gradually like s has had the chance to do with my L.)

Xxx

your menu sounds very well balanced to me.

i think the key with nutrition is to try and have more fresh stuff - avoid processed food as much as you can.

making big batches of homemade soup is also good at this time of year and veggie based soups freeze really well

maybe think about having some healthy snacks available for as and when you feel peckish cereal bars, prepared veggie (salad) nibbles fruit etc

i think also when you are on a health kick is to remember that naughty stuff every so often doesn't hurt you so if you fancy that choccie bar or full fat take out or whatever then it's ok.

good luck with it and let us know how you get on - i am also tempted to steal some of your ideas!

Heh heh. My mouth was watering just thinking about it all lol!! I think what i might do is keep updating this thread with what im having to eat, snacks etc too, use this as a diary of sorts. I think it will serve another purpose for me personally too - it will be there available for me to look back through when im not feeling too fab and will hopefully spur me on to continue with it.

I've got a meeting for a cpa review tomorrow and that is near morrisons so while i am out i think i'll pop there for some snacky bits - i know as its getting close to xmas there is a neverending supply of choc in the house lol, but do want to make sure i have plenty healthy stuff to pick at instead, and as you say, just treats w choc etc now and then :)

My weight is stupidly all over the place atm and im more untoned than ive ever been, so in the new yr looking to get into tai chi and start back at the gym again too. With the cfs will all have to be gradual, and will prob be dosed up off my face on anx meds for the first little while, but im quietly confident that i'll be able to manage....

Im getting logan 3 days a week from school now, plus weekends he is with me at mine, slowly building that up to more, tues and thurs i travel 10 miles to help at cat rescue where my mogs came from (so am cleaning and scrubbing litter trays and crates, washing bedding, scrubbing walls and floor and hoovering plus playtime with cats) for 4-5 hours, then will have tai chi once a week, harbour course once a week so that day i cant do anyrhing other than some light exercise stuff at home (ex bike and steppy trainer thing), aim for gym twice a week, walk half hour each way to collect log from school, then walk the dogs atm too (10 min round block with chihuahua on morn and night, 30 min with lurcher lunchtime and s does the big walk with her).... So am getting as much exercise as i can manage.....

Should be getting physio soo too which will help pain reduction, so hopefully the healthy jai inside might have hope of release at some point soon! Haha xxx

Hey hun. Thanks for asking!

I binged last night - was a really tough evening, but back on track today.

Its gone well besides that though - got steamer delivered 2 days ago and omg!!!

All meals been balanced and healthy, this morn treat myself to a nice breakfast - apple and pear fresh juice from juicer, pain au chocolat and a weetabix w strawbs and sultanas. Lunch was baby leaf salad with moroccan cous cous and a grilled chicken breast. For dinner spike is cooking and we're having lemon and dill salmon with a bit of rice, salad, and a load of steamed veg.

Dinner yesterday was honey glazed carrots and parsnips with pasta and pesto, and a lil bit of diced chicken. Lunch was spicy butternut squash and sweet potato soup.

Other meals ive had since making this post are spag bol (from scratch) w steamed broccoli mixed in and lots of peppers coz yummm!....chinese pork stirfry with plenty veg in that too.

Bought 6 cans of dr pepper yesterday, as treats, but besides that, a cuppa first and last thing, and the occasional glass of wine with dinner, im only drinking fresh squeezed juices and smoothies and 8 glasses water a day. I was drinking way too much pop and tea.

Got a dessert for after dinner tonight - making choc brownies and got some strawb icecream so that will be nice.

Xxx

• 2 months later...

Been aaages since i've updated this. Am pleased to say my weight has been stable (and healthy!!) since just after xmas now! :-D

I've had a steak today with some roasted carrots, pots and parsnip, mmmmmmm.

I'm eating 3 good sized meals a day, drinking 8 glasses water, 3 healthy snacks thru the day, getting at least 7 portions fruit and veg daily, & i'm feeling amazing!!

I'm actually looking forward to mealtimes now, which i never ever EVER thought i would say.

:-) xx

That is great! :)

I am working on improving my food choices right now too, it's encouraging to see your accomplishment.

That's fantastic news! Well done you! :party:

It is good, like Sahara says, to hear of people who manage to get a grip on things. It shows it can be done and that attitudes towards food and eating can change for the better! I really struggle with seeing a future life where I just don't think about food, like 'normal' people - it doesn't rule their minds, it barely even crosses them. Your positivity has made me see it as possible....I hope I can get there one day!

• 4 weeks later...

hi................................

guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you considering a weight loss diet? You may plan to start by cutting out cookies and chips, but be careful. Limiting people’s choices of junk food makes them eat less junk food, but doesn’t help them to lose weight because they tend to compensate by eating more calories within other food groups,

Do you like omelettes u could make a vegetable and cheese one

I make homemade soups - what ever vegetable you like. I do Butternut squash, carrots and tomatoes

I like making fruit smoothies also

Do you like bacon, you could do chicken wrapped in bacon and vegetables

I didn't came across quantity of water that you will drink per day in your healthy eating plan. Water protects the people from several symptoms and makes them to lead a healthy and happy life.:):)

• 1 month later...

hi friend, water is most effective thing for diet plans, it is balance your body temperature and easy for digestion, for more information about water review please click:-

WATER FILTER REVIEWS AND INFORMATION

if you like pasta do a chicken arrabiatta its nice and easy and you can make it as spicy as you want. also pasta is good to eat for a few days so you can make one big bowl and save it in the fridge.

if you need recipe let me know.

Archived