Mental Health Forums

Motivating/inspiring Media (Your Favourite Books/films/music)

gandalftheginge

Hey all!

So, I thought it would be a good idea to ask and share what inspiring and motivating media we all have in our hearts. These things often give us real strength to get through things, since those who create them sending their emotions and thoughts to us through them. I really hope items on this list will benefit others and get them through hard times. I'll try to read/watch/listen to all the suggested things on this list, time permitted.

Take care all!

Here are mine:

Films - eternal sunshine of the spotless mind/seeking a friend for the end of the world/the girl who leapt through time/whisper of the heart.

I really like romance, especially unconventional romance and all these films involve love coming out of nowhere, beating the odds and being incredibly strong. I can't help but feel motivated to find romance and give someone my all when I watch these. Very heartwarming.

Books - The Dresden files series

He's a wizard. And a private investigator. What's not to like? I really like the attitude of the main character, he goes through all kinds of shit, but faces it all with sarcasm and wit. He's also very honest and I like the first person narrative that it has. You end up feeling very close to the main character and it is quite soothing.

Music - Foo fighters

To be honest, I can't fault any of their stuff. It's all so emotional and inspiring, they manage to convey so much meaning through their music, loudly and quietly. I'd recommend the album There is Nothing Left to Lose.

Music - I love listening to Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slipknot when I'm looking for some motivation, it's heavy metal but a lot of the songs have deep lyrics and meanings which I can relate to.

Books - Jack Kerouac: On The Road, a story of someone who wants to start a New life and realise his ambitions in another state and decides to hitchhike across America to his destination. All based on true events and it inspires me a lot.

Films - Life of Pi, never thought I'd enjoy it but I thought it was brilliant. Showed that determination and hope can get you through the toughest situations, and to never give up..I could take some tips!

Shawshank redemption - the willingness and desire of the main character to go through such suffering in the pursuit of freedom and liberty, loved it!

I've got loads more but I'd be here all night!

Foo Fighters rule! And I love Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

So, my choices:

Film - (500) Days of Summer

I love the music, the cast, the story, the humour, everything about this film! And the fact that it is not your typical romcom: it's not all sweetness and light, it's a realistic portrayal of love and relationships. And I think that comments it makes on the media and how it gives us false expectations in life are spot on.

Book - The Color Purple

This story is about a young black woman growing up in racist south America and her battles with a racist and patriarchal society, told through her eyes. You really warm to the main character Celie and, I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone who may read this, but she is such an inspiration and a fighter.

Music - Jimmy Eat World's "The Middle"

I always listen to this when I need reassurance or feel a bit down and need to lift myself up a bit. It makes me realise that "it's only in your head that you feel left out" and "everything will be just fine". I also listen to Blink 182, Paramore, or Lana Del Rey a lot when I'm feeling down, because I can relate to it.

I've never read the colour purple, seen thé film with whoopi Goldberg which was really good...but as they always say...the books are better more often that not

I'm glad people are getting more involved in this thread! I think it can tell someone a lot about how you think.

The colour purple and on the road both sounds like good reads, I'll need to look into them myself sometime.

500 days of summer is great, I do like how unconventional it is.

Missunderstood, those are some great music choices there!

Have either of you read any comics/manga?

Ash

Fab thread!!

For me:

Films: It's a Wonderful Life and Veronica Guerin (although it makes me cry)

Books: The Color Purple for me, too!!! Also Tully by Paulina Simons and More, Now, Again by Elizabeth Wurtzel

Music: The Beatles, John Lennon's 'Imagine' album, 'Screamadelica' by Primal Scream and anything by The Doors

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Everybody,

The most important point is confidence, trust yourself , Have faith in God. If we will follow all these points , nobody can fail us.

About my favorite movies . They are 3 idiots , Talassh , Jab tak hai Jaan.

There is one special movie for marketing and sales purpose . The name of the movie is Rocket Singh.

Thanks

Take Care

Bye

film- Footloose, Grease, Dirty Dancing

book- Black Lace (that's not a dirty book), First Bite, Liverpool Taffy, The Lost Days of Summer

music- Footloose soundtrack, Grease soundtrack, One Direction, Marina & the Diamonds, random songs including folk and classical

Archived