Mental Health Forums

Ou Study Materials Arrived, Panicking Now!

JBR2890

Hey,

I've been looking forward to starting my degree for months. This morning a large box with a bunch of course books and DVDs turned up. Initially I was happy because I'm about to do something I've always wanted to do.

Then the doubts and anxiety crept in.

I've not been in the best of states lately, and I'm terrified that I'll mess something up and fail before I've even got started. I know I'm capable of doing well and completing the degree but I feel like I'm destined to et myself down.

So yeah, a good day but a very anxious one!

Dude, that's awesome! Good luck with it, if your passionate you'll do great! I know it's a bit daunting, but just approach it one step at a time and don't let it overwhelm you. I'd really like the chance to study again myself.

Keep us updated!

Ash

Keep your chin up!

I remember 5 years ago, when I bought my study material in September I was worried too, just like you....but one day you will look back at those days and be proud of yourself for enduring ....Just take one step at the time...you will pass exams...fishish semesters..it will take time, it will be frustrating, you will hate it sometimes...but it will be worth it....it really will...just endure..I wish you the best of luck :)

I remember when my OU course materials first arrived.

The benefit of the OU is that you can do it in your own time. So if you feel really crap one day, you can give it a miss. As long as you meet your deadlines for your TMAs and complete the course by the end.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy reading all those books!

Hey Jordan,

How did you find signing up for it? Was it pretty easy?

I'd like to do it myself, but I'm worried about it taking six years and about how much it costs.

Ash

Hi Ash, It was relatively easy to sign up. I registered on the website, did a student loan eligibility check, chose my degree and then registered. Then it's just a case of applying for a student loan. The loans are paid directly to the OU, you apply every year..it's around 2500 per 30 point module. The vast majority of degrees need to be 360 points. I guess the time it takes can put people off, but I like the idea of doing it in my own time and still being able to stay in work.

Nat - it's called 'The Arts, past and present'. It concentrates on language throughout the ages, how it has developed and how writing and art has progressed. There is also a lot of work based on cleopatra, and how her image has changed over centuries.

It's a pretty detailed module so I won't bore you with all the details lol :)

Nat - it's called 'The Arts, past and present'. It concentrates on language throughout the ages, how it has developed and how writing and art has progressed. There is also a lot of work based on cleopatra, and how her image has changed over centuries.

It's a pretty detailed module so I won't bore you with all the details lol :)

Is it only about how writing and art progressed or the development of the English language?

I can recommend you some excellent secondary sources in case the module is concerned with the history of English.

That is lovely, my course in the history of English covered Old English, Middle English, Early and Late Modern English.

It is a very challenging and superinteresting course.

These sources are awesome and if you have time I think they could help you a lot: Barber is thrilling btw

Barber, Charles. 1993.
The English Language: A Historical Introduction.
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Freeborn, Dennis. 1998.
From Old English to Standard English. London:
Macmillan.
Baugh, Albert C. & Thomas Cable. 1993.
A History of the English Language. 4th edition.
London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
Pyles, Thomas and John Algeo. 1993.
The Origins and Development of the English Language.
New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich.

Archived