Mental Health Forums

Big Step

Saharah Blue

I have not had therapy for years. I have had some people encourage me to reach out for help again recently and I have been so conflicted and felt unable to. I was terrified of being turned down for therapy from my old counseling center. its really sad that for so many of us our first expectation is rejection.

I just called and I have an appointment for the 16th. I just burst into tears on the phone with the receptionist, she was so nice to me. I am proud of myself for calling, but shocked at how much relief and grief is flooding to the surface. I've been carrying a really heavy weight.

*Thanks for the people in chat last week that reminded me that talking about it was the first step to asking for help.

Saharah,

It's great you were able to take that big step in admitting you need help and seeking it. It's so tough, but that part is over now and I think you can be proud that you managed it. I really hope it goes well for you and that your problems are resolved.

All the best,

Ash

hey sah :)

well done - funnily enough it was "chat" that facilitated me to seek help also a few years ago. hope it helps you and let us know how you go - if that's ok xxx

• 2 weeks later...

I went for my intake this morning. I feel like a little bit like a fraud, since I have had so much therapy in the past DBT included. I practice mindfulness and loving kindness medication and there is a part of me that feels like I am as cured as any MH professional is interested. Done cased closed.

The intake was nerve wracking since I had to account for abusive violent behavior toward me. Is my experience really tragic enough to get help? I don't know. I tried to talk on all points and I feel like I acted flat and uninterested in help.

They did offer me art therapy starting next week and said they would review my case next Tues. So why do I feel like my experience is not dramatic enough for these people? Is it because they hear so much worse? Is it because I am just scared?

I haven't been in T for 2 years and I have struggled but stayed afloat, not really progressed as much as stay afloat....... I hate it when people ask me where my money comes from since I don't work and I am not on benefits, I want to scream, "none of your damn business unless you are looking to make a deposit into my bank account"

All in all I think it went okay for reaching out, they were nice. Thank you to the people that encouraged me to get help again.

• 2 weeks later...

I did get a call from my new T, I have my first appointment next Tues morning. But then the group isn't until 4:00 in the afternoon, not exactly ideal. I didn't make it to the first art group therapy they offered me :(

I am already full of judgements about being helped, last time at least I was so broken down I could leave the judgements at the door, but this time I have such a feelings of,

you're not going to get me anyway

we are not going to really connect

I am not going to like you

you're going to see me as high functioning and not in need of treatment

too articulate

not as bad off as others

But, then I have to stop and think they took me as a patient immediately, so what does that suggest? The center specializes in addiction treatment and victims of violent behavior. I don't want to belong in this treatment group because I don't see myself like that.

Setting the judgements to one side. I do want to get some help and find ways to help me achieve my goals. I do want to do art therapy, I do want to be better.

Archived