Mental Health Forums

Anger

Paul

Hi,

It has been a while since I have been here but now feel the need to say Help!

I have been suffering angry outbursts for the last few months and these reached a peak yesterday with an altercation with a stranger over nothing - my wife managed to get between us before I beat the guy into a pulp.

Situation is now I no longer trust myself. Advice I have got is that I need to confront the cause of the anger (not the person) - and that is a problem as I cannot see a cause, it is just random.

Any help welcome before I totally wreck my life

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul - I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with anger issues. My main problem when under stress is anxiety, but sometimes the anxiety flips over to anger. The fight/flight/freeze response when people are under stress can often change between all 3. Maybe deep down you may feel anxiety over some issue in your life where you feel you have lost control. I have been using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and it has helped bring down the intensity of my anxiety and anger when they occur. Good luck and I hope you are able to find some relief! - Detroitguy.

Thanks,

I have an appointment to see the doctor on Thursday to see what is suggested - the problem is that the wheels of the NHS move so slowly. In the mean time just try and hold on and not to react to anything.

(((Paul))) It is good you have booked in to see your Doctor on Thursday. Be as honest as you can with them, maybe write some things down beforehand, cos sometimes the mind can go blank when we need it not to, and if your doctor doesn't suggest some counselling, maybe you could ask whether this could be a possibility, along with anything else they might suggest, especially as it sounds like you would really benefit from someone helping you to source where this anger is coming from.x Take care in the meantime and let us know how you get on with Doctor.xx

Paul. You've done the right thing seeking medical advice, but yes the NHS is slow and you may have to wait a while to get the help you need. It may be worth looking into some independently run 'Anger Management' courses...they seem to be getting quite popular. As an advocate of Minfulness I also think this might help you.

Archived