Mental Health Forums

Writing A Letter To Your Doctors? Help Please

b0bulat0r

Hi

Does anyone know if your allowed to do this?

I know when you make appointments at my doctors you can specify for a double appointment when you know you want to talk for longer but I was wondering if its allowed/possible to write to your doctors?

Basically I'm not doing so well at the moment, i'm really struggling mentally and I don't feel I can express myself appropriately in the small space of time of an appointment especially as if i get emotional i'll just waste the time,

I was wondering if its possible or a good idea to write a letter to my GP first and make an appointment to then talk about the letter?

What does everyone think, Opinions please, Appreciate the help

also happy new year I guess

i dont think there is anything wrong with writing them a letter, they can read in their own time and will scan on to you med notes (from exp in working as receptionist in gp surgery) give them a few days to read and then make an appointment

Yeah, I usually write the letter, and turn up with it when I go to my doctors. I couldn't express what I wanted to vocally, so it's a good way to get the message across... my previous GP was very good - he really studied the letter and took his time to read it. My current GP is a bit shit, I could tell he was just scanning it - but he did do something about it at least... but yeah, quite acceptable...

Good luck xx

Hi agree with what others have said,

Personally i take a list with me now when i see the psych, as its a 10 min slot and its impossible to remember everything, and its horrible when you forget something really important to say after waiting 3 months to say it!

But i think a letter is good too, if you are under stress with the lenght of appt time and have difficulty vocalising certain things.

i sometimes write a letter and take it to therapy its much easier to get the right things accross when its writen down you can take the time to put what you really need to say

i think writing it down would be really helpful that's what i do before i go see the doctors i always take my medication boxes along as well so they can see what i'm on and what the dose is i hope to be on a monthly script soon as i'm on a 2 weekly one atm and its really annoying as i have to keep going back to them every time i need meds and it also means i cant really go anywhere uacse i'm tyed here because of medication

(((Bobulator))) I can think of no reason at all why you shouldn't write to your doctors. Sounds like a good plan, and I would go along with what everyone has said, but especially Cadence, in that, write to your Doc, wait a while before making a double appointment, BUT also take a copy of the letter you have written them, just in case it goes astray and doesn't make it onto the system, plus any additional notes on things that you might want to discuss that you didn't put in letter!

I need to do this really now, Its just finding the time, this week has been a nightmarish hell, I haven't had the time to stop and breathe long enough to write a letter or even draft one yet.

Thanks guys :D I will defo try to do one soon and get the ball rolling.

I hope your able to write it soon Rob.

My GP gave me her email adress so I write to her sometimes and she's fine with that tho she did warn me she won't always have time to reply properly and its probably the same with letters. I don't think she's ever replied really properly but every time I go to see her she's kind of taken the letter on board if that makes sense.

Thats how i first got diagnosed with OCD, i wrote it all down in a letter went handed it in,z then made an appointment for a week later, and it was all said and out the way... i think its good for them and you, coz if they need to research something or get advice they can, gives them more time, to think and stuff, and u dont have the pressure of forgetting anything.

Sorry u feel bad dude.

xx xx xx

have you been able to do it yet Rob? feel free to get in touch if you want some help or someone to read it through for you xxx

Its ok if you haven't done it yet. there are always so many things that need to be done and most of them take a lot of effort. Sometimes you have to prioritise and do other things first.

i'm almost out of my medication so i need to go back to get some more but haven't organized anything yet, maybe I should go and do this at the same time :S

I feel like i'm drowning in things to do right now and there are never enough hours in the day.

Archived