Mental Health Forums

What Is Your Reason For Binging?

Lois_Lane

Its been 15 years for me and at first I binged at the age of 12 to lose weight. Now I feel I binge to deal with my emotions. Whether i'm overly sad, overly happy or lonely, I binge. At times I autopilot and one minute i'm cooking food, next i'm flushing the toilet! Some of those times I wonder if i've just done it out of boredom.

lois -lane first off audrey hepburn was my ideal perhaps u feel the same? there is a sense of power n control in it n something makes us convinced no matter what happens...at least i'm thin! so it's ok. when i was anorexic to the point of near death the ed unit i was on , well we were all diagnosed bpd. if u really think about it u ,i n many others have taken the uncomfortable memories or things that have n still might be happening n transfered it to ..."if i look perfect, i'm powerful i have control, n it can't touch me! i have it all in control n my perfect mask noone can see thru!"

This is Lois, just had some proble, with remembirimg my account password so I made this one.

Jades, you said it perfectly! That is how I feel! If I look "perfect" on the outside no one can see what is inside. I never thought of that, but you are so very, right!

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to this forum and am trying to navigate myself around and this seems a thread that has some resonance. I eat too much very much to bury emotions. I was abused by my parents, my mother emotionally and my father emotionally and sexually although I didn't know/ remember until my eldest daughter told me that he had abused her when her much younger sister was born. I was trained to be sensible, to be brave, to keep my chin up, to keep problems within the family etc etc. I wasn't protected as a child and was raped by one or two people brought into the family. I took up with a boyfriend that knocked me around, then married an emotionally abusive man. None of this became clear to me as a pattern for years and years (until my eldest daughters revelation). I feel so much guilt, shame, vulnerability and loneliness that I have always turned to food - it was the emotional weapon of my childhood - you showed love to my mother by eating what she put in front of you - huge portions. My strength is that no-one guesses my history as I seem secure and self-confident. I have only recently talked to one or two close friends about it and I have had therapy. However the hold on me is huge and I can't seem to break the food to cover pain barrier although I feel that I am moving towards some kind of crisis/ breakthrough. I also respond stupidly OTT to compliments from men looking I think for some validation that I am attractive despite being fat. The daft thing is that I now have a gorgeous younger husband who loves me dearly. I just find it hard to truly believe in this although I know logically that it is true. Do others feel like this or is it just me? Has anyone crushed this need to eat to push down the emotional problems that they face? How do I deal with something so huge - I face bits at a time and it gets better and then it gets worse. I feel that I'm always risking being out of control and I have been controlling myself so hard for so long I'm scared of letting go..........

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a binger, but unable to purge. It's one of the reasons I take Topamax. It has made a huge difference... but around the time of my period it's not always effective. I started binging again two weeks ago. I don't always know why I do it. It's not always about cravings. It's about self-soothing at of the time probably.. maybe filling some of the emptiness. Trying to create a moment of happiness when I am feeling very down... but then I just make myself ill.

My weight stays down because of the meds, and because I used to exercise a lot (it's sporadic now). My blood pressure has gone up - it is usually very low.

Archived