Mental Health Forums

Anxiety Over Taking New Anxiety Medication.......

Alittlelost

I have been prescribed a new medication today for General Anxiety Disorder but the problem is I’m too scared to take it.

I'm aware that my imagination or any side effects after taking it is likely to send me into full blown panic and I know the symptoms of panic is likely to make me believe I’m having an allergic reaction to the medication but when It happens I cannot rationalise it. It's crazy how I know how I'm likely to react but still react that way anyway.

Does anybody else have this problem?

Can anybody suggest any ways in which I can keep calm tonight, tomorrow morning and over the next few weeks, so I can give this medication a chance to work?

I've had real allergies to medications, and then some I've imagined and finally some I can take. I can't take temazepam or nitrazepam as they both give me anxiety attacks but they are both sedatives. I don't think anyone believed me until I was given temazepam in hospital I I totally freaked out and don't remember what happened. I was really aggressive which I wouldn't normally be. Since then I've not been asked to take it. That time made me so scared of other medications but I have to look at how many I've tried, most haven't worked, but only those two have given me panic attacks so it is unlikely that you will have a panic attack caused by the medication. Can you say what the medication is as someone here might be taking it and can reassure you. :hug2:

B

Yeah sure, it's Pregabalin

It's not that I think the medication itself will cause me to have a panic attack. I'm afraid I will have a bad reaction to it e.g it might kill me. This in turn will make me panic once I have taken it. Does that make sence?

Sorry I probably didn't make myself very clear :ashamed0005:

You do make sense, I look at the side effects and think I'll get the worst and then so upset that there is no point in taking it. I think I've taken that in hospital, it is hard to remember, I am sure you'll be fine and I know it is hard to trust the medication.

B

hi

i take pregablin for anxiety and it works wonders for sure and i have had no side effects whatsoever. just thought i would let u know my experience of it thats all. in my opinion it is a wonder drug for sure

Thank you both,

Although I only heard about it today when it was prescribed, iv'e read it is a "wonderful" drug.

I'm debating whether to have a few numbers handly when I take the first dose just incase I start to panic.

Hey. I would warn about when doctors say this is a "wonderful drug"...they say that to shut you up and get you to take it lol I'm totally an advocate for doing your own drug research as I personally have had a lot of bad experience with medication and know how misinformed many people are about the meds they are on

If you are getting it from a psychiatrist you can ask for this chart hand out thing.. I forget what it's called-- but it tells you the risk level for each side effect- that way you can make an informed decision

I would warn against drugs like ativan and lorazepam for anxiety and panic. The problem with those drugs is they work too well in the moment to get rid of the anxiety...but then when it comes back it just comes back twice as bad and you never learn to deal with the anxiety with skills so you become dependent on the medication.

There are some general anxiety pills that have fairly low side effects and many people have found great help from them. Unfortunitely, I have learned for myself that these drugs do not work for me...so I mostly rely on skills.

I used to have really bad panic attacks and anxiety attacks...and now the last anxiety attack I had was at Christmas......but before that I hadn't had one for about 5months or so which is pretty good.

Since I cannot use medication for mine I have to use skills. The things that work best for me are ice (especially on the face over the eyes, or sometimes I will stick an icepack in my armpit for more of a shock) , mindfulness meditaion, paced breathing and self soothing

As someone with a complicated physical illness that presents in many ways I can understand your fears around changes in your body. This is still a huge source of stress for me as my illness is very unpredictable. I used to ruminate around it alot and obsessively look up symptoms and fear the worst --and I almost ended my life over the imaginings I came up with by doing that, that I didn't even have. So I would encourage you to stay away from google, unless to look up very specific things to be informed....but try not to do the google self diagnosing thing cuz that can really affect your mh poorly

Okay, thanks (even though I'm more anxious now, lol)

The PDoc didn't say it was a wonderful drug, come to think about it she didn't really comment on it's effectivness at all (only to explain why it is used, of course). It's GAD sufferers reviews that I have read which says it works "wonders" for them but I'm guessing I'm unlikely to find out :worried_anim:

I live alone BeaBee and my family live 56+ miles away. Mum said if she could she would pick so I could stay with her for the first week or so whilst taking them, however she is working all weekend and my area and their area is predicted a lot of snow .

But thank you BeaBee for caring :hug2:

Aw sorry I didn't mean to stress you out and make you more anxious.. I was just trying to save you more anxiety in the long run by letting you know about some lessons I learned the hard way.

The truth is that these medications take a little while to kick in...but once you do you can always safely ween off of them if you don't find them helpful or do experience side effects. But you shouldn't experience any major side effects from just starting one of them that is quite unlikely.. you might get something minor or you might notice a decreased sex drive in some cases but just monitor it and maybe if you're really worried keep a journal and then go back to your doctor. She sounds like a good doctor from the rest of your post so I'm sure you can get her on board with finding a med that you feel comforatable taking

Good luck and let us know how you are feeling once you start taking it :)

I've taken a variety of drugs for anxiety, sleep, and depression in the last 2.5 months... I've lived an adult life (after aged 25 - until now) of being extremely health conscious and very drug free and hyper-sensitive to the point of accidentally getting high off 2 advils!

I also had to take heavy duty pain killers earlier last year that freaked the hell out of me.

Until recently I was romantically involved with a Dr.... so I could always text him/talk to him whenever I got paranoid about the new drugs I was taking (which always was a comfort)... now I am dealing with no support at all.

Something that I do a lot, and you could try this too - is to call a 24hr pharmacy and talk to them if you feel paranoia coming on. I live in North America and here we have many 24hr pharmacists that available to speak to, which is a huge help to me and has alleviated many panic attacks!

I do hope this helps a little... I'm so hyper sensitive to all drugs myself. Right now it seems that everything the Drs. say is a downer feels like a stimulant to me. You can also google the hell out of the side effects, but that can lead to more paranoia.. for me, I found it best to speak to a pharmacist on the phone to talk about my fears and perceived symptoms.

haha Back in my recreation drug use days I was always the first one to get paranoid and give everyone else a bad trip! I am not cut out for drug use at all... When I went on Wellbutrin it just about drove me crazy!

Thank you for all of your replies.

ArtMatters it's okay, anything would have freaked me out last night

EmilyStrange: I took your advice even before I read your reply, lol

I didn't end up taking it last night :ashamed0005:.

I rang my GP surgery earlier and asked to speak with my Doctor, unfortunately she had no phone consultations left. However the receptionist was lovely. She asked what the problem was and after feeling extreemly silly telling her, she asked me if I wanted to take it whilst on the phone to her. I did and she told me I could ring back everyday to talk to her whilst I take it untill I start to feel better. Bless her, it really helped :)

I like the snow too BeaBee, although saying that I have two weeks off so haven't got to go out in it :P

That is great you did take it and isn't it nice when you tell someone you've a problem and they are kind. Sounds like the receptionist is as good a doctor would have been?

It is good you can enjoy the snow without the worry of travelling. :hug2:

B

Thank you B, for your support.

An hour or so late the side effects started to kick in but I think Iv'e coped with them quite well.

The receptionist was lovely, shame she is not going to be available tonight when the next one is due. However It should get easier now.

:hug2: x

Archived