Mental Health Forums

My Cat Is Very Ill.

BeaBee

My cat was urinating blood she is very old and the vet has kept her in as she needs to be on fluids and morphine. I feel sick and panicky I am glad she is not going to be in pain as this morning she was obviously in pain walking round and around the room. It seems strange without her here. I am worrying that when they call tomorrow they will talk about having her put to sleep. :(

B

Im so sorry Baebee :( (huge hugs)

Mine is weeing blood too but i think its a water infection, shes only 2. I know how worrying and sickening it is when our fur babies are sick.

Good luck :hug2:

(((Baebee))) Thinking of you and your cat.xx My cat is like my baby too and we have been through some very touch and go times ((He's 16 now)) so i really understand a little how you are feeling.xx It sounds pretty serious, especially if he is quite old now. Hows your cats weight, eating, cleaning etc?

I have been beside myself twice now with the thought of my cat going away from me, because they are so much part of our lives aren't they?

Please let us know how things are in the morning.x He/She might just have an infection or cystitis or something similar. I hope very much that this is the case.xx

sending you hugs (((BaeBee))).xx

Thanks she does have cystitis but there is blood in her bladder and she has this quite often but not as bad. She has been on antibiotics for a few weeks, and pain killers but last night she was obviously in pain. She kept weeing in the hall way, just little drops. The vet was surprised as she doesn't have a temperature and looks well. The medication so far hasn't touched the infection so she needs more help. :( She doesn't seem strong enough to fight the infection even with antibiotics. I feel scared because when dad asked what would it take to relieve her pain the vet said morphine.

B

(((BaeBee))) Apparently there are very few safe options for treating cats who are in pain BUT morphine is one of the safer ones and apparently and a little less strong than the normal one given for pain management in cats.xx It sounds like your vet is trying to give your cat some relief and as long as it is in the right dosage, it sounds like a good call if pain management meds have to be used.xx Hope this helps to allay your worries a little.xx

Sorry to hear your cat is ill. I loved my cats, unfortunately they've all passed away now.

I really hope the vet can help, there's lots they can do these days.

Thanks the vet phoned and she is doing better. She still has some blood in her bladder but not as much as they are flushing her body using a drip. She is still in pain but they've given her more pain killer and she isn't eating. If she urinates more today then she can come home tonight and they will give her a steriod injection for the weekend and see her again on Monday.

B

Thanks the vet called again to say she has been urinating and she also ate some tuna. We are due to collect her at 5.30 but there is a problem as they can inject the steroids but they want her to take another tablet but we can't get her to take tablets. If we try and hide it in any food she always knows and won't eat. We can't open her mouth and put them in even the vet struggles she is very scared and hisses and bites. I remember when I was younger my dad putting tablets in prawns but she just stops eating for days if she thinks we've put anything in her food.

Be nice to have her home where she can relax.

B.

Thanks the vet called again to say she has been urinating and she also ate some tuna. We are due to collect her at 5.30 but there is a problem as they can inject the steroids but they want her to take another tablet but we can't get her to take tablets. If we try and hide it in any food she always knows and won't eat. We can't open her mouth and put them in even the vet struggles she is very scared and hisses and bites. I remember when I was younger my dad putting tablets in prawns but she just stops eating for days if she thinks we've put anything in her food.

Be nice to have her home where she can relax.

B.

I am sure it would be lovely to have her home.

I used to dissolve the pills in the food, so it was all mushed up.

I remember putting a worming tablet in the food and keeping the cats in the kitchen until they had eaten all the food, my theory being that if they got that hungry, and the only food available was the food with the crushed up pill in, then the cat ate that rather than go hungry. It felt a bit cruel but I don't mind being cruel to be kind.

I hope you and your vet come up with a solution regarding the pills.

Thank you the vet did come up with a solution, we can empty the capsules in to a syringe and add water, we can get that in to her mouth. She is super stressed out and she attacked two vets this afternoon they couldn't even take the bandage off her leg where the drip had been. Dad and I managed to do it, dad holding her and me cutting it off, she was growling but she doesn't normally bite me. She doesn't look happy just keeps walking in and out of the living room. They gave her injections that should last two weeks so I hope she calms down and goes to sleep. The vet said she was stressed and hospital had made her worse that is why she attacked, they said it was very sudden but she's always been like that. Glad she is home hope she calms down now.

Thanks for caring you've all been super kind to me and Petal :hug2:

B.

I'm pleased she is home BeaBee, :hug2: I can completely sympathise with you, my cat is my baby.

It's understandable that she is a bit sulky and sad.

I hope she feels better soon

I've never had cats, but have a little dog who is my heart. Sorry to hear that she has been unwell, but glad to hear that she is going home with you!

That's great news. May she make a full recovery and take her medication with as little struggle as possible.

x

Really glad to hear she is taking her medication and seems to be perking up :-) Worrying times when our children are ill... my babies have been cuddling into me whilst I've been resting/ill/in bed the last couple of days, little angels.

Hugs xxx

so glad she's getting better - i used to worry when sophie-cat wasn't well... she was my world (had to give her up when i moved but she went to a loving family) and for a while my best friend if that makes sense...

hope she continues to improve... i'll send her and you some loving light from my candle if that's ok... xx

Thanks so much, it is nice that everyone understands how important she is to me. Villan makes perfect sense and I'm sorry you had to give her up, thanks for sending loving light, I will tell Petal what a star she has become. :) I am ever so thankful to all of you, I feared some people may say, just a cat, but everyone seems to know that she isn't just a cat to me. :hug2:

B.

Archived