Mental Health Forums

Anyone On Quetiapine?

Jeckle88

So im being put on this new one, as well as my Trazadone. Never used it before, does anyone have any experience of this, is it good/bad? Any side effects? My main worry is weight gain. If i put on weight, things will get worse, i know it. Ive not had any weight gain with the anti-depressants ive used, but this is an anti-psychotic so i dont know what to expect.

Obviously i hope it will shut my head up and stop the hallucinations and auditory disturbances, will it work for paranoia? For example, my weight hasnt changed for a few weeks and i think someones bugged my scales. Also think people are watching my life through my eyes. Stuff like that sort of paranoia.

Bit wary.

Hey Jeckle I take quetiapine and I find it amazing! First week or so it knocked me out completely but this was the only side affect and it does get loads better! But prepare to be zombiefied for a little while! Ive not really had much weight gain from it either! It should help with the paranoia too :)

Thanks Ollie, thats reassured me alot :) My Pdoc did say to first take it at night, so it helps me sleep, then when im used to it i can start taking it in the day aswell. So i'll be taking it twice, is this because its effects are not long lasting?

When you say "much weight gain" does that mean youve had a little weight gain? Or just the way youve worded it? Sorry if that sounds rude.

I know its not a cure, but its nice to know, from someone elses point of view that, it will alleviate some symptoms.

Also... Is it a good mood stabiliser? Will it stop me from being so quick to anger ect ect?

Im quite anxious about this medication. for some reason it seems more "serious" than anti-depressants =

I was on Q for a long time and pressed my pdoc for answers regarding the weight gain. He said the weight gain is not the real side effect but appetite stimulation. Basically, it makes you want to eat more and people do. He said if you devise a health eating plan and stick to it then weight gain shouldn't be an issue. And certainly when I stopped it I didn't lose weight which would be expected.

As other have said main side effect is being a zombie for the first week. However, if you are put on it during the day you'll also be a zombie during the day depending on dosage. It induces sleep (you'll see what I mean) an of you take it in the day time you'll be struggling against that a lot!

In case you are interested I was on 600mg a day.

Another thing to note that I pressed my pdoc about is that the long term side effects are not known. No one has taken it for longer than ten years so no one knows what, if any, damage it can do long term.

Good luck!

(null)

Thanks for your reply Poiple.

Im reassured to know it wont just make me put on weight, i can fight against having more of an appetite, so i can still be in control of my weight which is a relief.

Im not sure of my dosage yet untill the doctor processes the prescription but ive been told i can have a weeks worth at a time as theres no chance of OD'ing with them. So by this i gather im not on a huge dose just yet.

Having just tried to OD on them I can tell you that the fatal OD dosage is >30,000mg (or at least the only reported Q OD is above that limit)...I took A LOT at varying times and each time just made me sleep for a really long time. OD on them can cause a brief coma though so not recommended.

You'll up your dose gradually so it'll be small at first I expect.

You're in for some pretty weird dreams :)

Oh i love a good weird dream haha! I woke myself up screaming the other morning (I was screaming and crying at a doctor in my dream and jerked myself awake!)

Im sorry you felt the need to OD, but its a feeling im all too familiar with myself so i understand. I hope you feel better :)

I take quetiapine and have been doing so for a couple of years. The biggest problem I find with it is the tiredness. It does make me drowsy when I take it even now but that can have its advantages too if you take it at night.

They also do a modified release version though which distributes the dosage over 24 hours more evenly - I have found this to be very helpful, not just because it means I can function better in the day time as I am not so tired but also because it has more of an effect on my thoughts throughout the whole day. It might be worth asking about this version if the side effects make it hard for you to carry out your normal daytime routine without nodding off! I do find it very good at its job though and it definitely makes my racing, crazy, irrational thoughts noticeably more manageable.

Thank you Artemis! I will certainly ask about this if i find it makes me too drowsy during the day.

Im glad to hear it works well for people, its making me less worried about taking it and looking at it as a more positive step, so thank you :)

Does anyone know how long it takes to start working? And also is it a good mood stabiliser?

I also take quetiapine, 100mg in the morning and 600mg at night along with my other meds. My husband says once my meds take effect at night its like i am a different person.

I am seeing my pdoc soon so hoping to discuss my long term meds.

Archived