Mental Health Forums

What Are You Reading At Present?

AppleCrumble

I'm reading a Mark Billingham book which is pretty good, although I've been distracted by puzzle books lately.

Thought we could have a little book discussion group? Chances are, we'll have maybe read some of the same books.

x

http://www.bookbyyou.com/erfever/default.asp

Its a romance story about me and a footballer but we're actually a nurse and a doctor in this. I'm not so keen on the sex parts, it doesn't really seem like the time or the place but it turns out to be important to the plot. There is a bit in the middle that made me think hmmm not very original but its just gone off in a direction I wasn't expecting. The characters aren't really like me and the footballer, he does have a nice bedside manner with his injured team mates but he's much shyer than his character and so am I. But both characters are nice people so I'm happy to pretend.

I am working my way through the Daisy Dalrymple books by Carola Dunn

I borrow the ebooks from the library so it costs me nowt :)

I am also re-reading The Front Runner by Patricia Nell Warren, one of my fave books.

I am also dipping in to the cricketer Paul Nixon's Autobiography

I tend to read several things at once. I have read 13 books already this year and I read over 200 last year. These days I mostly read self published "indie" books from amazon Kindle rather than mainstream books.

If you haven't already guessed, I love reading! These days I mostly do it electronically on tablet or Kindle or on a wee browser window at lunchtime at work.

Which Billingham book are you reading?

I'm reading The Secret Garden now. I can't remember if I've read it before but when I was about 7 I got the books on tape and I listened to it over and over again. I love it, didn't want to put it down to come online.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Secret-Garden-Illustrated-Classics/dp/1406318035/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1358876494&sr=8-3

I'm currently reading crime and punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I've read the majority of his other works and love 19th century literature.

I'm reading a few things right now, as the adjustment phase to my new meds is leaving me unable to focus on one thing for too long.

I'm reading:

"Malignant Self-Love - Narcissism Revisited" by Sam Vaknin

"The Essential Family Guide to Borderline Personality Disorder" by Randi Kreger

and some light reading....

"Emily Strange: Piece of Mind - A Novel" :D

I tend to read multiple books at once. Currently I'm reading:

>Changes, Dresden files book 12 by Jim Butcher

>The Hobbit

>American Gods by Neil Caiman

>Fleet of clay by Terry Pratchett

>Genshiken by Kio Shimoku

Ah awesome :-) I love reading, but find hit hard to tell me to sit myself down and relax and read... might go to a costa tomorrow and bring a book, seeing as I'm signed off work... would be good to get out the house.

Wow Villan, that's great! really impressive. I have to say, I'm usually known for being a quick reader, can read an average sized novel in 7-8 or so hours... but yeah I just need to find those 7-8 hours :)

The Secret Garden, I'm pretty sure I've read that, there's a movie about it too. If you like that, you might like 'The Little Princess', there's a movie about it too - really good, little bit funny, a little bit sad etc :-) Nothing to heart breaking overall though :)

I have a few pdf files of BPD books, so yeah, when I'm wondering what the hell to do and a bit negatively reflective then I have a little read, they look really good. Quite fancy a kindle, just so I can hide what I am reading easier.

xxx

Ah awesome :-) I love reading, but find hit hard to tell me to sit myself down and relax and read... might go to a costa tomorrow and bring a book, seeing as I'm signed off work... would be good to get out the house.

Wow Villan, that's great! really impressive. I have to say, I'm usually known for being a quick reader, can read an average sized novel in 7-8 or so hours... but yeah I just need to find those 7-8 hours :)

The Secret Garden, I'm pretty sure I've read that, there's a movie about it too. If you like that, you might like 'The Little Princess', there's a movie about it too - really good, little bit funny, a little bit sad etc :-) Nothing to heart breaking overall though :)

I have a few pdf files of BPD books, so yeah, when I'm wondering what the hell to do and a bit negatively reflective then I have a little read, they look really good. Quite fancy a kindle, just so I can hide what I am reading easier.

xxx

The problem with reading about my affliction is that it often makes me cry and leads to despair.... but knowledge is power!

oooooooo fave books! In no order...

Back from the Brink - Autobiography of footballer Paul McGrath (not fiction but you didn't specify that as a criteria) one I re-read very often and makes me cry every time cos it is not about football per se, more about his life and battles with mh and alcoholism.

The Front Runner - Patricia Nell Warren - the first book i read that REALLY moved me

Family Portrait - Graham Masterton - first grown up book i read

The Killing of Emma Gross - Damien Seaman - an indie published book that I found to be excellent. Based on true crime in germany

Past Caring by Robert Goddard - i have read most of his books and this is my fave one of his.

Quite fancy a kindle, just so I can hide what I am reading easier.

I read quicker on Kindle than I ever did in Paperback! Also i can read off my phone or tablet so i can catch the odd minutes when i wouldnt normally be dragging a book around - amazing how all them add up!

Kindles are ace

i had to do community service in a library restacking shelves so in the end read every book there! n i did read every book on the oprah book club lol!, really i did! now i carry a book in my bag at all times n read bits when i'm waiting etc. don't have time to read otherwise but right now...i loved "call the midwife" so i read that lst n m now on the next book about workhouses in britain. i'm a book devourer but i don't have the time much anymore with a toddler!

I read The Little Princess ages ago, I don't think I liked it that much but I love The Secret Garden so much I think The Little Princess deserves another try!

A lot of books are worth a second go. Some books get better as you get older but sometimes you just weren't in the right mood the first time.

Other books I love-

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell (I love horses)

Emma by Jane Austen (read it finally haha, it was long but so funny)

When the Love Comes in by Tara Heavey (really sad but just really lovely)

On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan (even though I hate his other books)

The Secret Island by Enid Blyton (its about children who escape from mean relatives and live on an island, I always wanted to do that)

This is so true :)

I have quite a few that i started and gave up on and then later went back to and enjoyed :)

A lot of books are worth a second go. Some books get better as you get older but sometimes you just weren't in the right mood the first time

I'm reading George R Martin's A Feast for Crows from the Song of Ice and Fire series.

The entire series is terribly addicitve, but awesome

got a properly warm squishy feeling in my heart knowing i'm not the only one who has several books on the go at once :):):)

ATM i'm reading -

Cell by Stephen King ( i lovelovelove him) - this one's about a guy who's an artist who is trying to get back to his son and his estranged wife after some sort of virus breaks out in the city he was visiting (to present his comics to a company). It is spread through mobile phones and the people affected become very animalistic and violent, there is just destruction everywhere it breaks out so quickly, and is amazing to follow his story as he searches for his boy and tries to stay hopeful, saving and helping others along the way :)

The Chocolate Run by Dorothy Koomson (not sure if i've spelt her surname right, i always get stuck with it) - about a woman who keeps falling into bed with her close male friend..... he is a womaniser and she is commitment phobic, which is a major thing making like difficult as it keeps them stuck in that no-mans-land between relationship & friends with benefits.- this is the blurb for it - "Amber Salpone doesn't mean to keep ending up in bed with her friend Greg Walterson, but she can't help herself. And every time it 'just happens' their secret affair moves closer to being a real relationship, which is a big problem when he's a womaniser and she's a commitment-phobe.

While Amber struggles to accept her new feelings for Greg, she also realises that her closeness to Jen, her best friend, is slipping away and the two of them are becoming virtual strangers. Slowly but surely, as the stark truths of all their lives are revealed, Amber has to confront the fact that chocolate can't cure everything and sometimes running away isn't an option . . .

The Chocolate Run is a delectable tale of lust, love and chocolate."

Change Of Heart by Jodi Picoult - triggering maybe, so highlight the next bit to see - it's about a prisoner on death row who killed a man and his step-daughter, and wants to donate his heart after he dies to his surviving daughter. he goes about seeking permission for a different execution so his heart is viable, and the story is about the mother of the girl dealing with the grief and turmoil that come about when presented with this option to save her daughters life. It's really emotional, obviously, but is an amazing read. I would say not to read though if you're not feeling very stable, even though i've gone back to it and read it several times at various points over the past few years.

xxx

I've read The Chocolate Run but I'm not saying anything about it, I don't want to spoil it.

I'm reading this now, I read it every year when its snowing, beautiful lovely book, cuddly Christmas stuff but also lots of sadness and dramas- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Snow-Secret-Adele-Geras/dp/0140385649/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359163901&sr=8-1

• 1 month later...

i own 153 books the last book i read was fire after dark by sadie matthews similar to fifty shades of grey but not as much sex and more of a story line xx

I don't think I could list my favourite books (I prefer watching films really -.-), but I love reading psychology books, and am currently reading "The Tell-Tale Brain" by V.S. Ramachandran. It's fascinating if your interested. :P

I read loads,I go through stages of what I call binge reading :)

Books Im reading right now;

Adrian Mole

Borderline times and my fave White Oleander

A list such as this one is always subject to change but:

The Master and Margarita-Bulgakov

Farewell to Arms--Hemingway

Fathers and Sons--Turgenev

Possession-- Louis Bromfield

Babbitt---Sinclair Lewis

Moby Dick---Melville

Manhattan Transfer by Dos Passos

Tristram Shandy by Sterne

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner

Night in Bombay--Louis Bromfield

etc.

What Im currently reading is The Black Book by Lawrence Durrell...doesnt seem promising at all....

I've just started reading Agatha Christie and I think she is amazing, her characters are brilliant and its fun trying to figure everything out and they are more romantic than I expected. I got one from the personalised book place and I loved it so much I ordered second hand copies of some of her other books off the internet. I'm reading a book of her short stories now. My fave is The Secret Adversary.

Archived