Mental Health Forums

Obsessive And Impulsive Especially In Shopping Sprees

tashabpd

I am having issues that having trouble controlling. I am incredibly obsessed about items eg clothing that I own and struggling to throw anything out, even tho doesnt fit me, I have memories of wearing the outfits and the emotional attachment and Hoarding issues. I hate being this way. It does not help me to have so many clothes that I have no room to put them anywhere.

Also I am incredibly obsessive and impulsive in shopping sprees. a few weeks ago I went in a shop to look at an item but was determined to come out with an ipad and iphone, I am now in debt cos of this.. I found myself obsessed and I would of punched the sales assistant if he hadnt allowed me to leave with teh items. Today it hit me again I went into a shop for 1 or 2 items of clothing and walked out with $50 being paid on many items of clothing together. I couldnt stop myself I had to hv the stuff, and got such a high from putting the pieces on and looking a million dollars.

Now I have returned home angry at myself and my behaviour and suicidal.

Help............................

does anyone else do this...................................

I do this, I don't ever try clothes on in shops and I don't return them if they don't fit or I don't like them. This afternoon I asked my dad to drop me in town and wait for me. I went in to one shop and grabbed 1 pair of red trousers, 1 denim skirt, 1 jumper, 1 pair of green trousers, 1 pink blouse and 1 pink bra. I don't need them I just feel compelled to get more and more clothes.

B.

Hi Tasha, seems that you're having a really hard time. Please hold on, I know you're not the only one struggling with these issues. I think you may try to not enter at all in shops, since you know you won't be able to just look as originally planned. Maybe you can also take with you only the money you need for the purchases you listed before, so they're no extra money to spend?

I'm trying to help but I've the exact opposite problem, no pleasure at all with clothing or shopping. So I tend to just try random clothes and leave the shop as soon as possible, even if it means buying items less appropriate than what I could have found by insisting a bit more. Also so hard to buy things unless they are absolutely necessary, can find myself salivating at the thought of a soda can in summer heat and not be able to act the purchase. It's like I constantly fear I will lack money or something like this. Real problem too.

Well, what I wanted to say is that I feel your struggle and hope you'll feel better very soon. Please allow you the time to heal.

Archived