Mental Health Forums

Vomiting After Eating...physical Or Emotional Problem?

LadyLou79

Hi,

I am new here and writing on behalf of a family member that I am worried about.

I will name the family member H to explain situation but would really appreciate any support or advice about this.

H has a long history of depression (20 years) plus has experienced eating disorders in teens. Has busy and successful career but lots of pressure. Has been studying for important work based exams plus taken on new hobby which requires performances in front of large audiences. H has now finished exams but throughout last few months has been very stressed and had no time. Approx 6 weeks ago H developed a sickness bug which made her vomit every time she ate. The bug went but the vomitting has continued every time H eats. She explains that she gets a really bad pain in her tummy when she eats and that she feels very sick after eating anything and the only way to stop this is by making herself sick. This has been ongoing for approx 6 weeks now and in this time, she has lost a considerable amount of weight to the point that she is now just over 7 stone.

H is now off of work as she has no energy. She says she feels run down, groggy and with no energy. She says that her legs burn when she walks up the stairs and that she could sleep all the time. She also says that she has lots of headaches and gets hot flushes. She says she has a sore throat and has marks around the corners of her mouth where she makes herself sick to relieve herself of the pain and sick feeling in her tummy. She says that she is eating and that she does feel hungry. Her eyes are red, she thinks from all the pressure of being sick. She also says she feels very emotional (to be expected whatever is up). She says that once the food is out, she doesnt feel sick or pain anymore. She says that if is not sick after eating then her mouth waters and the pain gets worse until she has to make herself sick to relieve herself from the symptoms.

H saw a GP who made a referral for an ultra sound. The ultra sound is next week but in the month since the referral was made, she has lost considerable amount of weight and gained more symptoms. I am really worried that if this continues, she will end up in hospital as she states she can't even eat biscuits at the moment.

I did plant the seed of thought about this being a possible eating dissorder, to see how she felt about that. She said that she thinks this is more a physical thing as the pain in her tummy is really bad after eating. She also said that she is scared about putting weight on and that her tummy is flat now which she wants to keep. She said that she feels good about being so slim but that she feels stuck in a rut as this isnt going away and she doesnt know why this is happening.

I dont know enough about eating disorders or medical problems to say what I think is happening but I wonder whether anything I have written above rings any bells for anyone or if anyone reading this has been in the same position and can shed any light on what might be happening for H?

Thank you in advance for any help or support!

Hello, (((LadyLou79)))

My immediate thoughts on your worries is that H gets checked out thoroughly physically. There are some very nasty bugs/viruses and food poisonings around which if left untreated can be very very serious indeed, so though the ultrasound is now next week, if H continues to deteriorate, and not drink especially then going to A & E or ringing NHS direct for more urgent referral to hospital maybe.

If it were to be emotional, which I'm not saying it isn't then this can be looked into too, but this would be on a more long term basis I would imagine, but it is so important to get help re the losing so much weight, not eating, pains in tummy.

A period in hospital maybe for observation might have to be the answer. Please persist with the doctor or H persist with Doctor to rule out bugs, viruses, food poisoning etc.xx

I hope this has been of some help.xx Very worrying for you and for H. Also was thinking, really not best to self diagnose, but can understand the researchings and worryings.x

Hi Pickle,

Thank you so much for your lovely reply. I guess as a family member of someone who has experienced various mental heath problems, your alarm bells ring more loudly but Im also glad she is seeing her GP and they are doing this ultra sound. I just hope they can give her some answers as like you rightly say, much more of this will probably lead to hospital :-(

Thank you again for your support, means so much

x

Archived