Mental Health Forums

Away From My Mum

lonelyheartemma

tbh I feel really crap tonight but I just remembered something thats good which I meant to post about.

My mum is away this week, mon to fri. i haven't seen her since sunday and its been great having a break from her. I feel like I can do my own thing a bit more, I feel more relaxed.

My dad is here, we are getting on fine. He was a bit worried when I was cooking the beef stroganoff last night but once he ate it and realised it tasted ok he was fine about letting me cook the pizza tonight, he offered to help with stuff but he didn't say "let me do that for you" or "are you sure your doing that right?" I felt a lot more trusted tonight.

we agreed we'd each cook twice over the 4 days she's away, 1 of his chosen meals was takeaway! haha it was nice tho, we had chinese.

My dad has always wanted to go to Australia and he always planned on going with my mum but he never has but he felt like he couldn't go because of me. But today he was saying maybe they would go to places like Australia. So maybe I'm interpreting it wrong but it sounds like he's seen me managing the cooking and stuff and he feels I would be ok if they went off and left me.

It will be hard, there are some things I don't know how to do. My mum has never once let me use the iron so there's some housework things I don't know how to do. I have used someone else's iron, I was volunteering with a tv station who were filming a cooking show and I had to iron the cooks apron. So I have ironed for tv but not in my own home! So I probably can use ours but what if its really different? Like cookers can be completely different. So I'm worried my mum will say I can't use the iron so I will have to make all my outfits last 6 weeks, I do have a lot of clothes but not that many!

Hey Emma!

It's great to see you around again :)

I'm really glad you've been able to make some progress, that's awesome news. I really hope this means you can become more and more independent like you deserve. I really enjoy cooking myself, and beef stroganoff isn't the easiest thing in the world, so you can be proud of that :)

All the other household chores may seem a bit daunting, but they are all pretty straightforward, you should have no problems with them!

I hope things keep improving,

Ash

emma im glad youve had a relaxed time away from your mum. it sounds like your dad has more faith in you, that must feel good :)

i hope its the start of good things to come.

and the iron... well i never iron clothes :blush02: the last time i tried i burnt myself and dropped it on the carpet which burnt that too. my daughters school shirts need ironing so my mum does them for me so i dont ruin them.

a good way to get creases out, is if you use a tumble dryer, take them out as soon as theyre done, otherwise as they cool, creases will form in the crumpled clothes. and to hang whatever you want (thats creased) in the bathroom whilst you take a shower, it should steam some of them out.

Hi Emma, sounds like your Dad is allright, Well done on the cooking! I understand your tendency to worry though and my advice about the iron is either dry clothes on a clothes horse (usually takes overnight) or a radiator and they don't need ironing. Ye if ye get them out of the dryer straight away they don't crumple either as above poster says.

Or you could try have a go of the iron - get something old out of the back of yr wardrobe and see how you go. I understand you being daunted, but have a go and you might suprise yourself. I rarely iron anything either - unless its jeans that i fecked in the back of the wardrobe & forgot about. It's not so much that ironing is hard - its just a pain in the arse getting the board out, iron on, kittys away from it etc. I recently showed my 17 yo how to iron in case he needed something done & i was out.

I'm out of likes, glad your having a nice break, I can really relate from when I was living at home at 18 btw.

thank you Ash Jeckle and AM

I like doing hard cooking, I know lots of things you can just stick in a pan and boil the water but I don't find that very interesting. I get the chance to cook so rarely so I really like to enjoy it when I can.Pizza is probably the hardest because I make the base as well so it takes quite a long time and I have to use a knife for the toppings which is quite scary. But then with beef stroganoff, I have 3 pans on the stove at once and I have to keep an eye on all three so that is also hard. But so much fun. I can't wait to cook them again tbh.

I think maybe the reason why the iron scares me is because my mum doubts my ability to do it. Then she says stuff like "you'll forget about the iron and go wandering off" which doesn't sound very likely really but she said it so I feel like it must be true. She used to say I couldn't cook because I'll burn the house down and I still am terrified of doing that. I'm also scared of sharp knives because she told me I'd cut my finger off.

We don't have a tumble dryer, just a washing machine but it has a spin dry thing. The clothes come out wet but not dripping.

Oh i just had an idea! My dad's been doing the ironing as I'm not allowed to do it but he hates it. So maybe he'd let me do it?

She's back now but it's been okay so far.

My dad had finished the ironing, but he told me how. It doesn't sound impossible at all.

But I know it's going to get difficult again soon. I'll breathe at the wrong time or something. I'll just try to stay away from her. It doesn't make sense but I only really feel lonely when she's in the house.

Archived