Mental Health Forums

Venlafaxine

AppleCrumble

Just wondering if anyone has been on this? Against the advice of a GP I saw on Wednesday I said I wanted to try it and to stop the trazodone. Feeling more chilled but still suspicious of people. Heard its a bugger to grt off but having no side effects at present other than dayyime tiredness and not sleeping at night, although I have some zopiclone to help with that for the short term. Wondrring what the psych will say if he gives me an appointment mid march like he planned.

Just wanted to check in here about the change so I can keep track anyway :-)

Hows everyone doing? Xx

i was on venlafaxine for my bipolar. It works really well but i found possibly a bit too well.

It made me feel a bit like a zombie just doing things monotonously. I never had a low mood but everything was very level. I didnt get excited or happy or surprised. It was just one monotone mood. which is a bit frustrating after a while in my opinion.

but then again i was on the highest dose i think, that may be why for me haha :/

Yeah. I was hoping that it might lift my mood and make me less narky and irritable towards my partner. And maybe less impulsive. I think the light sedation is doing me good although my motivation is still low. Its a hard balance to get, motivated and energised without beong impulsive.xx

Ah okay - I think the daytime tiredness is maybe what makes the feelings of 'out of touchness' and not really 'with it'... as I say I feel empty etc anyway, and this is more affecting how much effort I'm able to put into conversation and interacting with people etc... just been on 75mg a day so far, seeing the GP on Wednesday to get it increased, as the previous GP suggested. Hoping he does actually put it up, and doesn't disagree with the previous GP.

xxx

• 4 weeks later...

I was on this for a couple of years at a high dose. It did help a bit but not enough for me to feel well. Coming off it was a nightmare - I definitely would never try it again.

i was on that for a short period had some really nasty side effects off it though so i had to come off it pretty sharpish

I'm taking Venlafaxine currently and have been on it for almost a year. I used to take Sertraline, but my GP felt that the Venlafaxine would be better for my anxiety.

I haven't had any major problems with it- in fact I've had less side-effects than I did with the Sertraline (I used to get very bad nightmares with those).

Having said that, I don't feel that its been any more effective than the Sertraline was and I believe that the CMHT have advised supplementing it with a low dose of Mirtazipine on top, which may start when I next see the GP.

So my view of it is fairly neutral really- no nasty surprises but no miraculous improvement in my mood either.

How much are the rest of you on dose wise? And what times of day do you take the doses at? I seem to feel more awake/energetic in general, except from 3pm onwards. 3pm-6pm I am absolutely knocked out :-( Does anyone know what the norepinephrine/noradrenaline uptake inhibition is about? WHat does increasing noradrenaline/norephinepherine do? xx

I take 150mg daily, like others above. I'm supposed to take that as two lots of 75mg, one morning and one afternoon, but actually take all 150mg in the afternoon, together with my beta-blocker. I find its easier for me not to forget if I just take everything I need to take at once.

My energy levels are very low generally, so its hard to say if the Venlafaxine tires me out- I haven't noticed that it does.

Looking up SNRI's in Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin-norepinephrine_reuptake_inhibitor ) shows no mention of noradrenaline, but increasing norepinephrine is supposed to have a beneficial effect on energy levels and anxiety. Its all a bit hard to decipher though!

• 4 weeks later...

I take 225mg at night of modified release with a few other meds, out of all the meds I've been on this has kept me the most stable but the affect of missing just one dose can be awful x

Archived