Mental Health Forums

Are You An Addict?

ILostHer

I am.

Pills, drink, drugs. No wonder I'm f*d.

I never really hear of anyone being addicted to something on here.

I mean chemical stuff by the way.

I get up take 8mg clonazepam, 450mg wellbutrin, a few glasses of disaronno, and carry on throughout the day. I am a stupid cow because I think a softmint will hide the smell of booze. I suppose people just choose to ignore it. I go to help groups drunk, not enough to be rolling about but drunk enough. Then in the evening I get properly drunk.

All on tablets I am not supposed to drink with. I get ill a lot.

So anyone else an addict? (If you don't mind saying)

Ilosther, i wanna give you a hug.

Im addicted to drink, not "wake up in the morning and drink" kind of addicted, but i get drunk every night. I needed medication to take me off alcohol when i was pregnant with my youngest because i couldnt do it myself. I can never ever have "just one drink" if i start, i have to carry on. No one knows how bad my drinking is.

Ive been addicted to drugs in the past. Illegal and prescribed. I know its not chemical, but im addicted to cutting. I get addicted to things really easily. Does anyone else find that?

Ilosther, i wanna give you a hug.

Im addicted to drink, not "wake up in the morning and drink" kind of addicted, but i get drunk every night. I needed medication to take me off alcohol when i was pregnant with my youngest because i couldnt do it myself. I can never ever have "just one drink" if i start, i have to carry on. No one knows how bad my drinking is.

Ive been addicted to drugs in the past. Illegal and prescribed. I know its not chemical, but im addicted to cutting. I get addicted to things really easily. Does anyone else find that?

Thank you :)

I used to be addicted to cutting and had CBT to stop me, and I get very addicted very easily. It takes 21 days to form a habit and I think this applies very much.

I am sorry you drink too. Are you on meds? I worry what I am doing to myself. My stepmum died young because of her drinking.

My MH team named me an addict and now it flashes up on the GP's screen, its humiliating.

Please try and get help for your cutting, cbt works and there are other therapies out there for being addicted to cutting xx

Yeah im on trazadone and quetiapine, although i often forget to take them when ive been drinking

21 days? Interesting.. I wonder how long it takes to become un-addicted to something..Alot longer than 21 days id imagine lol.

I can imagine it is humiliating having that "label" stuck on you, but its great that youve actually told someone about it and are hopefuly getting some help and support. I had alcohol councelling when i was pregnant, and one thing that still sticks with me when i get a craving is "it will pass" it doesnt mean alot on the outside, but if you think about the craving as a seperate thing, its not a part of you and it is just a feeling, thats all it is, so like any other emotion, happiness, sadness, it wont stay forever and it will pass.

Im not getting any help with the cutting at the minute, but my latest trip to A & E left me with quite a few stitches in my arm and a warning that if they see me again social services will step in to protect the children. My bf also said if i did it again, he wouldnt be coming back. I had strong urges last night to cut but those warnings have stuck with me so i used an alternative, dripping hot wax on myself rather than cutting. Seemed to do the trick anyway :)

Sorry to hear about your step mum, my birth mother was an alcoholic and she died from a drug overdose. I often wonder if its inherited..

i have an addictive personality apparently! i get so addicted to things, even stupid stuff like food, i will be totally addicted to eating just one thing for weeks, like a certain choc bar or bag of crisps, and that is all will crave like a rug user, but then it passes and i concentrate on something else to become addicted to. i drink every day. im not an alcoholic, i dont 'need' to drink, i want to drink., i get wasted most nites, but i am hoping to cut that down once i start work tomoz. i also smoke skunk everyday, i dont need to, but i do it anyway. i believe its a part of being bpd

I have had an addiction to Opiates for a few years now. It started slow, snorting pills with friends when it was there then I got prescribed to hydrocodone and oxycodone for surgeries and such (plus I got it from other places as well), but it got out of hand for awhile. I had to get help to get off of it because I became pregnant, but sadly it turned out to be an ectopic pregnancy and I nearly died and had my left fallopian tube removed. I started back on them less than a year after I quit. I was prescribed to hydrocodone for migraines and I have scoliosis and other painful physical problems and I try and take them when I hurt, but sometimes I just want the euphoric feeling I get from them. I only get a limited amount so every month I go through withdrawal till I get prescribed again. I finished my last script this month and am currently not on them ( I might get one from someone if I hurt bad enough). This months withdrawals weren't that bad because I actually tried to limit my daily intake of them and did really well. I don't know if I can find another way of getting them because I don't think my neurologist wants to keep giving me them. I start my therapy Monday and I'm scared that they will want me to get off of them. I really need them for pain which is a double edge sword and I don't want to abuse them anymore. I still get the urge to take them to feel better, but I honestly want them for pain relief. I wish I didn't always crave something to take me away. I used to smoke pot everyday for awhile, but I only very rarely smoke that now. And I really never got addicted to alcohol for some reason even though I did abuse it some when I was younger. I have trouble sometimes admitting that I will take pills (not just Opiates) to get high and to get away from myself. It isn't as bad as it used to be, but I'm still not doing as good as I could. I hope therapy will give me a new insight into the whole thing. I'm going to be honest and try, because I am tired of my BPD and other MH issues, I just want to be better.

I'm also very dependent on Xanax, I have to have at least 3mg a day or I have myoclonic seizures. I don't abuse it, but I am still very chemically addicted to it.

Hannah

I have had addiction and is addicted to all sorts. I used to take drugs, but stopped using when i had my daughter, i found coming off drugs easier than my alcohol and smoking. I was addicted in taking overdoses. The drugs of my choice was acid, speed, hash, coke. I tried all sorts but refused esctacy and smack. I guess i never mention it before much due to its a part of me that doesnt want to go back to any of that again as i know i could pretty much get addicted to it all over again.

Opiates - 25mg methadone r'xed,, Xanax 1.5mg daily rx'ed , zopiclone 30mg daily (15mg rx'ed), dope (weed occ), cigs, coffee by the pint. But i don't drink LOL . xxx

Edit-Past- I have been addicted to hash, ecstasy , heroin, cocaine, speed, ritalin, every benzo obtainable. Also addicted to od'ing , sh, and hospital admission in the past. Am very over the hossy admission, they wanted to bring me in last week, it would have de-stabilised everything I have worked hard for. Lying around in an underground bunker -like building with no natural sunlight would do nada for how I'm feeling. And I would be afraid the addiction might come back.

Tapering off Lyrica atm , its pretty addictive imho. Am at 75mg per day, am 'on' 225mg per day. It was making me dangerously forgetful, and prone to abusing it.

P.s - I'm badly addicted to cats :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not, unless you count self injury? *But* I think the only reason I'm not is 'cos I'm emetophobic as the idea of drug-induced euphoroia seems very attractive to me :/ . Every cloud and all that, eh?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Addicted to valium. It is really hard to give up. I went cold turkey for a week and started hallucinating. I am now trying to limit myself to 10mg once at night time, mostly successfully. It is the only thing which calms me down and helps me sleep and yet mental health services have labelled me a druggie and wanted to discharge me and have me self-refer to an addiction clinic (I am bpd). I tend to get really obsessive about things - as Tray was saying - for example I will eat one food stuff for weeks and then suddenly go off it. I know that isn't an addiction, obviously, I just thought it was an interesting connection that she made. Substance abuse is, after all, one of the diagnostic criteria for bpd, so it is not surprising that many people here would be doing it!

Archived