Mental Health Forums

Amazing Help From Cheese

Eagleheart

I don't know if this is the right place to put this post,but here goes.

Over the last 3-4 years,i developed real problems with sleep.

I've tried Zopiclone,Zolpidem,Diazepam. No help and always felt crap the next day with a chemical hangover.

I've tried Valerian,5-HTP,chamomile,lavender.Nothing.

However,a couple of weeks ago,i stumbled on a substance that works a treat (for me,at least).

I hadn't eaten all day and it was 11pm.For some reason,i cut a chunk of mature cheddar and sat and nibbled.

I went to bed about an hour later.Out like a light and didn't open my eyes until 10am.

Since then,i have tried going to bed without eating any cheese and my sleep has been dreadful.But every night i eat cheese an hour before bed,i sleep amazingly well.

Who would have thought that a chunk of cheese is the 1 thing that knocks me out?!!!

Sleep Benefits

Eating cheese late at night may calm you down and help you sleep restfully. Cheese contains an amino acid called tryptophan that supports the body's production of niacin and serotonin, according to National Institutes of Health online medical encyclopedia Medline Plus. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter linked to stable moods and sound sleep, so the increase caused by eating cheese may help you relax. Tryptophan is the substance linked to drowsiness after eating turkey, and it is also present in milk, eggs, nuts, chicken, fish, soy and tofu. Eating any of those foods in the evening will have the same effect as cheese because of the amino acid.

Thanks for the info LBB.

I should have said that i had tried other foods,including oats,having a warm milky drink among others.If i have bread with the cheese,it doesn't work as well and causes bloating & discomfort. (I have IBS).

When i tried the 5-HTP tablets,they did nothing.They are a synthesised form of tryptophan.Bananas don't work either.

It has to be cheese,all the way!

strange cos there's that myth that cheese gives you nightmares. maybe they got it wrong way round. good that youv found something natural that helps tho. and tastes nice haha xx

edit- sp

Dairy is well known for its sedative properties.. however won't do your waistline any good :D But for those of us who find sleep difficult, we grab whatever works! If you can avoid sleeping pills that's awesome!

It's odd as tryptophan is not found in especially high levels in dairy so I'd suspect that it has a hit and miss quality in explaining why you've fallen asleep. Especially when 5-HTP didn't work, but then again it's a supplement and lord knows if it works at all. Consistently at least.

Either way it's great that you've found something useful- even better that it's cheese.

I shall use this as justification for eating more of it!

(((Eagleheart))) When I was struggling again 'tother night I thought of you and this post and I raided the fridge and did as you said.........................I don't remember much more :P BUT I did sleep, so thank you for the info.............Like has been said, I always thought cheese was a bringer on of nightmares...............So...................thank you and hope it still be working for you. :bigarmhug[1]:

Just goes to show that all the drugs in the world don't beat a bit of diet modification. Good to hear you've found something readily available and not bad for you (unlike benzos) that works! I've noticed diet plays a huge part in my ability to sleep at night and I think its a factor people often overlook. We're all slightly different though. Cheese has never done it for me.

Has anyone ever read the book 'Good mood food' or something like that. It was something about building a depression and anxiety diet, have always thought about trying to factor in what i eat but i'm so addicted to quick junk food it's a wonder if haven't keeled over by now.

I'm not sure I even get any nutrients beyond my multivitamin.

Cheesey chips are a nutrient... right? : p

I bought a soupmaker/smoothie maker for my birthday in an attempt to change my intake but i haven't even got it out of the box yet :S

It's great to read all your remarks but i am going to shatter my cheese-sedation theory. Uhoh.

It HAS been working,but i ate some before bed last night and literally didn't sleep a wink.Two things may have spoiled the effect.

1. Went to bed too soon after eating it & had burny guts

2. Since last week,my MH has taken a massive nose-dive.Panic attacks even when i'm drifting off.

I am trying not to view my cheese theory as an out & out failure just because of 1 bad night,but being a BPDer,that's not easy.xxx

the solution? EAT MORE CHEESE? surely? I mean we up the dose of meds right- so stands to reason that the dose of cheese should be upped...

Can't fault the delicious logics.

But seriously hope that it continues to work at least in part for you and that you feel better soon xx

just have to watch out for the calories. I absolutely adore cheese but now realising the calories it foods, I have to limit myself if not stop eating cheese. :(

For me,there's no stress about the calories because i barely eat anything.I have started having cereal and i eat bread,but other than that i struggle to eat.It can be horrific trying to eat.Food just won't go down.My throat just keeps pushing what i try to swallow back up & it's so unpleasant that i stick to the 3 foods i've mentioned.

Not ideal,i know,but at least with eating the cheese,i do get some protein.

• 1 month later...

Have you tried mixing a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda with half a small glass of water and drinking it? Whenever I get acid, this works for me. Antacids never work but this does. You will probably do a massive burp but the acid will be gone - especially if it is due to something fatty (like cheese). It doesn't taste nice (salty) but really worth a try says old mother hubbard xx

Archived