Mental Health Forums

Surgical Menopause

Jelly-bean

i have been having problems for years, and had some surgery to try to help the pain i am in but it is getting worse, so i went to a gynae clinic today and the doctor has put me on list to have a full hysterectomy including my overies which will mean i will go into menopause straight after the operation..... im relieved in one way because of the constant pain that im in will go ..... but in another i have a few worries ... and i know someone whom has had surgery not long ago and is now sueing the nhs ..... although she had a lot of surgery she did also have the same surgery as im going to have.... not key hole but open surgery...... she had many things go wrong but one thing in particular that puts me off ..... they some how cut something from her below parts off..... im not saying this Will happen to me it but with having to go straight into menopause and a mishap accuring ..... so if any of you have heard this procedure...... or any input at all .....

Yo Jelly, My mother has had an OP a good few years ago now and I'm not sure if it was the full one or not, But I'm seeing her again tomorrow and will find out if it was like the one you are going to have or a different one ect... Not sure how many types of OP's they're for this, Right I'm confusing myself here, Sorry... Plus I do remember it wasn't key hole, It was open surgery...

thank you for your kindness and support guys .... gosh i admit i am a bit scared .... i have some time to prepare for the op... and i am desperate to have a pain free life (it would be nice)..... just going to have to be brave...... :)

Thinking of you ((JB)) in all of this & here's wishing and hoping and trusting that all will go well for you.xxxx

Hi Jelly, I was only talking about this with a friend the other day, although I can't say I know much about it other than you can get injections administered that stop you going into full-blown menopause straight away. Apparantly these help a lot but are costly and lady I knew had to fight to get them on our 'free' med system here.

If I were you I'd get as informed as possible - join a reputable forum on menopause/ hysterectomy and write down any questions you have to ask the dr.

Let people around you know that you are a bit nervous and will need a little more support after the op too.

Best wishes xx am

I've been considered for it (I'm on the Mirena coil atm but it isn't working out so going back to the gynaecologist next month).

Have you ever had decapeptyl injections? These bring on a temporary menopause and would give you an idea how you'd feel with menopausal symptoms.

Good luck JB xxxx My mum had this done when i was a child, she recovered well. I would say try not to focus on the scary stories and look at the success ones instead. I think youll be fine :hug2:

Hi Jelly i had a full hyst in Jan 09 with some complications.

TO SAY ITS BEEN GREAT AFTERWARDS WOULD BE A LIE.

I wasnt prepared atall, i knew i didnt want any more kiddies but the pain i got about 6 weeks post op was awful i wanted what i couldnt have. I do know others that felt like it.

I had zolodex injections for 18 months before my op.

To be pain free is awsome.

Thinking of you xxx

I had a full hysterectomy (ovaries, cervix - the lot) in Jan 2012. Prior to that I'd had 6 months of decapeptyl injections to see how I'd tolerate menopause.

The operation was fine. I stayed in hospital for 2 nights. I was on my feet in 24 hours. I had abdominal surgery not keyhole or vaginal. The wound healed quickly. I felt a bit off for about 10 days then I felt fine. I just had to be careful not to over do it. I was driving again in six weeks and back to normal in 8 weeks. Instant menopause has been ok - a few hot flushes, but not as bad as the sweats I had on venlafaxine (anti depressant)! Since the op I have felt so much better physically which has helped my mental health. My mood swings have been less severe too. For me it was the best thing ever.

I think we here more of the horror stories than we do the straightforward successes coz a bit of drama is more interesting. If you are ill and need the op. go for it. It makes a huge difference and it is much more likely to go well than not.

Thinking of you.

Archived