Mental Health Forums

Im So Scared

SoppyCow96

i need help im going make an appointment with the doctor for the mental health assessment and im gunna try to be as honest as i can but what if i tell him about the voice in my head that tells me to hurt myself. would he think im crazy and get me sectioned?? i dont know what to do the woman in my head keeps putting images in my head of my partner cheating on me or me slicing my throat i just want it to go away my bf says only i can make it go away but i dont know how and he also said there would be no point having medication for it because ill get addicted to the pills and if i stopped taking the pills the thing in my brain will come back and be even worse than before so now im scared and worried ...

Hey, Sounds like a good idea to visit your GP although they're very unlikely to section you. They very rarely section people nowadays it's not like the 60s anymore. Be more worried that they'll do nothing which is more annoying. I get those constant thoughts of hurting myself or my hubby. Violent thoughts, and I take no medication for it. Is the voice your own with your own thoughts or are they someone elses voice saying your thoughts or are they a strangers voice/different accent that is saying abstract things? They might refer you to CBT to help you think away the thoughts and rationalise them. That's quite a common first line of action. I'd mention losing your baby last year as it sounds as if you need to deal with that and then they might suggest counselling. Try what they offer you though, treatments cam be helpful. Sorry to hear you are struggling at present. Definitely make an appointment to see the GP though, even if it's just so it's on your record to say you are finding things difficult. Xx

thank you for replying AC i am worried they will do nothing or think nothings wrong thats another thing on my mind. Sometimes i have thoughts of hurting my bf when im angry but idont know why because i dont want to hurt him.the voice is my own one and says my thoughts i think it picks at things i think about to use to hurt me like planting images in my head or putting me down all the time or giving me vivid dreams ..etc..thank you for the support ill defo bring myself to make an appointment on monday hope you are doing okay xx

Yeah mine voice is my own which isn't much easier to cope with than someone else's voice but it varies in its persistence dependent on stress and mood etc. Sometimes I can talk/think over it but when I was in a bad place a month ago I struggled to concentrate at all. I'm ok thanks, i had a burst of energy/enthusiasm to clean the bathroom for two hours yesterday but not really feeling like doing anythinv today. Said I'd take someone ice skating this afternoon so will have to put my happy face on and play along. Didn't get a jigsaw out yesterday so willl try that this evening. Have a report to write for work/my studies but not really feeling like it :-( Hope your GP is helpful, update the post on how it goes. You up to much today? xxx

glad to know im not the only one with this voice :) i sometimesfind it hard to concentrate on things when my brain really plays up its difficult. i used to spend six hours drawing a picture to take my mind off of things but that doesnt seem to work anymore.i dont feel like doing anything to day either at least you got some of the cleaning done :P i love iceskating i wanna take my fella one day but dont think they will have his she size. i hope you get the energy later on to do your work. good luck with the report! Ill let you know how it goes with doctor :) im not really up to much my bf said he would go shopping with me but what is he doing now? sleeping zzzzz... guess ill be going out by myself unless i "accidently" wake him up mwahaha xxx

I think you should go to the doctor and be honest. They are very unlikely to section you.

Taking medication can help. Medication is not always addictive. Some people hear voices because they have a psychosis, and sometimes medication can help with that. Other times, the voice is really your own thoughts and feelings that are troubling you. In that case, some form of talking therapy like counselling, or psychotherapy might help, but in the meantime medication can make you feel calmer and perhaps help the therapy work better.

(((SC))) Sounds like a very good move to go to the doctors, and please be honest with them as you have been with us.xxxxxxx Please let us know how it goes.xxxxxx

thought id give you guys an update after calling the doctor a billion times ive got an appointment for next thursday at 9 50 :) now i just have to wait xx

(((SC))) Its good you now have an appointment, but if in the meantime it becomes an emergency please go and sit in surgery! :cigar:

At my GP's practice they will see you without an appointment, on the day, as long as you are prepared to wait around.xx

Glad you managed to get an appointment. It's annoying that you have to wait so long for an appointment. Thanks for the update.let us know how the appointment goes.xxx

• 2 weeks later...

Archived