Mental Health Forums

Something Good From Something Bad

jayjay4466

Had a really difficult few days over the course of last week- especially the weekend. I started to feel quite unsafe. I haven't felt like that for a long time.

Years ago, I would often OD or cut if I felt like that and those thoughts started to surface again.

I called the Samaritans yesterday morning. She was very patient and kind and listened as I tried to explain what had led to my latest episode, and the stuff from the distant past that underlies it all.

It helped. Funny how just talking- hearing yourself expressing that pain to someone out loud, with your own voice, can do that.

Yesterday afternoon I emailed a referral to our local Social Services MH team. My GP has referred me to the CMHT (whom I've been under before), but I felt I had to do something else- something for myself- something positive.

I'd avoided a referral to SS because I used to work for them, and feelings of shame had held me back. I also find asking for help terribly difficult. I'm a bit anti-dependent.

But something has to give, and if I don't sort this I'm worried what I might do.

SS have gotten back to me already, and (assuming I can arrange a lift from my brother) I've been offered an appt for next week! I also received a lot of reassurances regarding my confidentiality (I worked there for 6 years- many of my clients had MH issues themselves).

I feel empowered. Like I've taken back some control.

I've joined this site too, and reading what people are going through has given me back some perspective as well. I'd like to thank you all for that. Its helped.

I've been here before- too many times if I'm honest- and I may well find myself here again in the future. But I will not let it claim me.

Tomorrow may feel different, but for now, today is a good day.

I hope you are all as well as you can be, and I am very grateful for you guys "being here", if that makes sense. I think I may stick around for a bit, if that's ok!

Take care of yourselves as best you can :)

Hi

That most certainly is ok! I'm really sorry to hear you were struggling but a big WELL DONE for taking control and reaching out for help. It can be very scary to do that, and I don't mean to be patronising but you've done really well. I hope you get the help and support you deserve :)

I look forward to seeing you around the forum

Jenny x

Archived