Mental Health Forums

Chlorpromazine

skp67

Going to be starting chlorpromazine again hopefully, once my psych gets me in to hos to do a detox off all my other meds.

I cant remember what it was like so if anyone can give me a heads up i'd be greatfull.

I have experience of chlorpromazine. It was very effective at quietening down all my racing thoughts but it did make me rather drowsy I seem to remember. In the end I came off it and switched to quetiapine as I was going travelling and chlorpromazine made me really sensitive to sunlight. Be careful if/when it ever gets sunny again!

Chlorpromazine was the original antipsychotic, first made in 1950: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorpromazine. I read somewhere that patients used to be given wide-brimmed hats because of the sunburn you get with it.

Medication has different effects on different people, so I wouldn't worry too much about what you read or hear. Just take it and see how you feel, if there are any problems go back to the doctor.

I have had chlorpromazine as a hospital inpatient, and whilst in the community, but it was many years ago. From memory I think it worked ok at controlling my anxiety and making me less agitated.

Archived