Mental Health Forums

Fave Morrissey Songs:

EmilyStrange

As I noticed there seems to be several Morrissey fans on this site I wanted to start this thread about him. lol He is my current obsession. I relate a lot to his persona and all of his music. I've posted some of my faves in other threads but here's a couple. Post yours, with why they resonate so well with you. It's disheartening to hear that he's in ill health right now.

"Yes I Am Blind"

One of my counsellors says that I fixate too much on justice and the unfairness of life.. so much so that I am unable to move on and see anything good that happens. There are a couple of lines that stick out to me..

"God, come down if you're really there. Well, you're the one who claims to care...." When I am despairing and frustrated I feel like screaming this at the sky (no i'm not religious).

"Evil people prosper over the likes of you and me .Always..." Sad but true... and I am having a hard time overcoming this right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DqvRFmnSk8

"Angel Angel, We Go Down Together"

I interpret it as it as about self comfort after being abused by the world. Much like "Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me", this song instantly has the power to make me burst out into tears. My other counsellor wanted to listen to it with me today.

These lines resonate (it's a simple and short song but there is more to it than posted here.. but these are the lines that stick out to me):

"I know they take

And that they take in turn
And they give you nothing real
For yourself in return

But when they've used you
And they've broken you
And they've wasted all your money
And cast your shell aside

And when they've bought you
And they've sold you
And they've billed you for the pleasure
And they've made your parents cry
I will be here...."

"Some people have got no pride
They do not understand
The urgency of life..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r391S7tTIME

I must confess to not knowing as many of his songs as I probably should, but this one always strikes a chord with me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=d0LeL9BUPtA

I grew up in a seaside town (and still live here) and this song (and the video) captures perfectly the very unique kind of melancholic atmosphere of seaside towns in winter-time, when everything is closed for the off-season.

I'm not sure what the town is in the video- its not here- but the principle is the same. I grew up in the late 70's and early 80's when the seaside holiday was, in effect, dying, and I've seen the town change and evolve over the years. Many of the places I frequented as a teenager have gone now, and the town is all nightclubs and winebars these days, but the song reminds me of back then when, in winter-time when everything was shut, every day was, indeed, like a Sunday!

I really love that song too! I grew up in Britain and although I grew up in an industrial town, I did often vacation to the seasidey towns :) Fond memories... I miss England.

Archived