Mental Health Forums

Doctors Appointment..

SoppyCow96

Finally i made it to the appointment i was quite late for it but they still saw me in the end which was good. Go in and the doctor wasn't too bad he wanted to know why i was requesting a mental health assessment so i had to sit there shaking like a leaf telling him all my problems. Then he said i seem to be having a lot on in my head and it seems events from the past i haven't fully recovered from as things still play on my mind. So he wasn't sure what to do with me which was worrying.

He called another doctor and had a discussion about me and then he made me fill in a questionnaire about my thoughts etc and he said it came out moderate/severe :/ not sure if that's good or bad. He going to talk to CAAMHS (where i used to talk to a psychiatrist) and refer me back there for someone to talk through things with me. He wants to see me again on Thursday and said if i feel like self harming or killing myself i should go to the hospital or go see him.

He gave me a prescription to get some anti-depressants so i have to take them once a day and then he sent me off and said he will call me tomorrow about whats going on. He also said further down the line he will see if he or someone else can diagnose whats wrong with me.

So doctors appointment is done *phew* my thoughts: That was fucking scary!

Well done girl!

Sounds like you've been heard and taken seriously. That's really positive. You must feel relieved!

So glad that it went okay :-) I've been thinking about you and how you might be doing. What anti-depressant did they put you on and what dose? How you feeling about it all? xxx

Im glad i went thank you everyone for your support he gave me Citalopram 20mg any one heard of them? Feeling pretty positive and proud of myself :) xx

Well done for going! You should be proud :D Gives me a bit of boost as I'm going to be seeing mine tomorrow.

I was on Citalopram about five years ago, didn't get on with it personally but know of a lot of people who it really helped :)

In case you dont know; Citalopram is an SSRI that is a second generation anti depressant and therefor likely to have less side effects. The first two weeks you might feel sickly,flu type things but they most likely pass when you get used to it.It also takes at least two weeks for you to start noticing any positive effects.

wow good luck with your doctors tomorrow Cally hope it goes okay, let me know how it goes :) thanks for your help xx

(((SoppyCow96))) You most definitely should be proud of yourself and It really does sound like he is going to do everything he can to help and support you.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for that information lily very helpful :) do you know how long ill have to take them for because i forgot to ask the doctor xx

That depends on a few things,with a single depression or anxiety its mostly a year if you go well and then taper off.

With recurring depression or other things like OCD Im not exactly sure,mostly depends on how you go and your psych will monitor that and decide when youre ready to try taper off.

Nice of you to think of me AC :) Im okay thanks actually havent gone to get the meds yet been busy but im going to get them tomorrow even though i should of probably got them sooner. Not sure when the appointment today is for the doctor said he would call me and tell me a time to come in but he hasnt called :( so im gunna to call and find out whats happening tomorrow, are you okay? xx

Aw okay, that's a pain that he hasn't rang yet. Ring early on if you can, so he can squeeze you in :-) How you feeling about taking meds? Might be worth getting them picked up before you get to the docs, so that you show willing for treatment etc. If he thinks you aren't bothered about trying then he might be less likely to get you help. I'm okay, feeling numb and empty today, very empty... it's really horrible :-( xxx

Archived