Mental Health Forums

Quick Response Please

AppleCrumble

I've been feeling so anxious the last 3 days, feel so anxious, like my chest is knotted, but I'm separated from the rest of me... eek, so anxious. Doc prescribed me Olanzapine, but it's to be taken before bed as it knocks me out, but it's really daytime anxiety that is troubling me...

basically I'm wondering if I call NHS24 whether they'll prescribe something... I don't want to go to A+E and I'd be worried that by giving them my address they might call someone out, based on their NHS questionnaire based on anxiety for being tight chested (in case they think heart attack, which it definitely...) Just can't relax... or distract myself. It's horrible!!

WHat do you think I should do? xx

This happened to me the other week I felt like my heart was beating out of my chest and rapidly and my mum called an ambulance cuz anxiety meds weren't helping and I ended up being taken to hospital and put on a heart monitor overnight which made me even more anxious. I would take some of your medication now and see if it helps and try and get a doctors appointment to get something that helps in the daytime quite urgently. That's all I can think of to suggest. I wouldn't go down the hospital ringing route cuz it made me feel worse having ambulance and hospital people interrogating me xxx

Yeah, our GP is closed today because it is good Friday, but I really don't want to do the ambulance/hospital thing, for the same reasons, and it's a little embarrassing too... I would ideally like just them to prescribe something and let me go pick it up from a pharmacy... but nervous though because you have to give NHS24 your address/phone number etc before they talk to you. :-( xxx

A tricky one. I can understand the worries you have.

I'm caught between saying call NHS direct and don't. The thing is I would think they are very unlikely to prescribe you something without you having some kind of real-life interaction with a doctor. Most likely they would make you and appt with the GP out of hours service for your area (which is probably based at the hospital although not really part of it). That could be what you need - they'd se you and prescribe a daytime anxiety drug but may be too hard for you to do.

I'd say it would be very unlikely that they'd send someone out to your address based on your phone conversation on NHS direct - I mean it's hard enough to get people to come out when you're deep in a life-threatening crisis anyway, can't see them being ultra efficient in this scenario personally! (Don't mean to devalue your situation at all - hope you know what I mean!)

Thanks for replying both. Yeah I know what you mean - that they hardly do much when you're 100% suicidal, so they're unlikely to do anything because of anxiety... but then again, sometimes they go over the top in their responses to things as well! It's a tough one! I don't think there are any out of ours things particularly close by...

I think the out of hours number is to call NHS24/NHS Direct.

Just phoned just now, was really scary - but they asked about if I had any thoughts of suicide/harming others and I said no to everything (which is the truth) - part of the anxiety is needing to cut/stab myself - but seeing as I'm not actually wanting to do either, I said no. I'm definitely going to keep saying no incase! But yeah, it's more the on edgeness, and cutting didn't help yesterday, so I doubt it would help today, and I hate violence, so wouldn't be able to stab myself. Anxiety is one of the things it's so hard to describe... it's just arghhh.

Person on the phone was really nice, and a nurse is going to phone me back in the next hour or so. Not sure if nurses can prescribe anything, but we'll see....thanks for replying...

xxx

I don't know if its the area you live in but the ambulance come out for everything here and straight away. I would ring them for you if I could lol. It's ridiculous doctors shut at weekends and holidays anyway I think. Like people have to not be ill at those times or they're buggered for days. Is there anyone who can take you to a walk in out of hours doctor place? I can't think what they're called my heads not working. They might prescribe you something if they see you there without sending you to hospital. I doubt they will over the phone either. Xx

Lol eek, definitely not going to mention the thoughts of stabbing myself then lol. I'm in the Newcastle area. Hubby gets home at 6pm, so hope nothing happens, would be so embarrassing!

Nurse got in touch, said that they are getting a doctor to phone which might take a couple of hours, and then they'll make arrangements for me to see an out of hours doc, and then see if they can prescribe something. Fingers crossed I get the doc phoning soon. Eek scary!

So annoyed, blood useless... Phoned NHS direct around 4pm I think, spoke to a nurse who I told all my history and current meds to etc, and she said they'd get a doc to ring with an appointment and they could maybe prescribe something extra to help, got an appointment to see an out of hours GP at 9.15pm. Walked to the hospital, around 30 mins walk, she bloody said she couldn't prescribe anything, and to just keep on with the olanzapine which I took last night and it might start working soon. So now I'm fuming, she made me so bloody angry. She said I should try exercising as it releases endorphins etc blah blah... all frigging stuff I've tried. I tried camomile tea, hot water bottle, ice cubes, trying to connect myself... fucking arsehole. I'm so angry. Tempted to take some random shit because she's pissed me off so much. Want to shout abuse at her. I wish all these feelings would come whilst I was still in the appointment as it's horrible dealing with them by myself on the walk back again... I'm so bloody angry. WHy did they bother giving me an appointment if they were just going to tell me to fucking go for a walk or whatever shit. She said to plan my day out, I did fucking plan my day out but the bloody anxiety and on edgeness ruined it!!!! Arghhhh!!! Fucking wanker... :-( They build your fucking hopes up and then shoot them down again :-(

I really feel for you AppleCrumble, that is so useless and absolutely infuriating. :hug2:

I seriously wonder what doctors undergo so many years of training for when they spout stuff like that.

Sorry, I'm very angry at docs at the moment after having a totally shocking response from a GP this week myself. Just wanted to say I hear you and am really with you in what you're feeling.

I know it's so tempting to do something impulsive to make them see just how bad you feel but please don't sink to that, you deserve better.

Try and take care of yourself. Hope the olanzapine is more effective tonight. xx

Well that sucks!!

Im just trying to think if I can think of anything to help you.

Ever heard of rescue remedy? Its herbal and many people swear by it,worth a try?

I think anxiety is just the worst,Id rather be depressed myself.

Maybe you need a project? Like cooking a pie or making a website,starting a blog,making a photoalbum etc ???

How long have you been on Olanzapine?

I'm wondering if you a are suffering from side effects.

I've been on 3 seperate antipsychotics over the years and each of them gave me increased anxiety for the first few weeks.

Aurora :)

I've been drinking camomile tea, as that's really supposed to help, but it hasn't really done anything. Had my partner punching my back, as that temporarily helps, but obviously he can't do it non-stop.

I only started the olanzapine Thursday night, to help cope with the anxiety. The anxiety started on Wednesday. I started venlafaxine 6 weeks ago, 75mg/day, up to 150mg/day after 2 or 3 weeks, then up to 225mg/day after 5 weeks... and I think it was the last increase that did it. The really bad anxiety started on Wednesday so saw GP Thursday, he reduced dose back to 150mg/day, and gave me olanzapine to help with the anxiety, to be taken before bed as it knocks me out, and it's not doing anything. Saw out of hours GP yesterday, Friday 9pm ish, and she said to plan my day and to exercise, bloody useless!

I'm trying to work on my computer, so I am trying to keep busy, but the anxiety is just too debilitating, I can't get anything done :-( It's starting to turn into a nausea type of feeling on top of the 'not nausea' but other type of urghhh I need to do something that isn't being sick, but feels like it should be... :-( Nightmare xxx

How long were you on the high dose of venlafaxine for before you dropped back down?

It's possible that the high dose of venlafaxine gave you some extra side effects and the drop could also cause increased anxiety. Also with venlafaxine you have to try and take that at the exact same time daily because if you take them at different times daily that can cause issues with some people.

Are you takkng them once daily or split into two daily?

Aurora :)

Had been on 225mg/day for exactly a week, and have been taking them at 7.30/8am and then 3pm, pretty much same time each day, was really good with the timings but maybe got a little out of sync on some days when I didn't get a chance to take the 3pm dose due to being around people/not at my desk. I remember when I'm at work and that sort of thing. Hard when I sleep in at the weekends as well. Will try to be more strict with the timings. :-) Thanks for answering. Feeling calmer at the moment, it seems to come so far this afternoon, I found some old (3 years old) librium which I had left over, so took 3x 10mg which might have helped a little, I'm not really sure. It's hard to tell. It comes in waves when I'm distracted, I was so anxious when we first arrived at the social event I was going to this afternoon, but calmed a little. Still felt more out of touch with myself/others than when I'm feeling well...

Thanks for your replies everyone xxxx

Thanks, yeah it is such a pain. I rarely go to the docs, because it's such a faff to leave work early, and to get there, and sometimes they're grumpy, sometimes you're only in there 2 mins, and they do nowt to help anyway! I was so infuriated after I basically was given hope and then for her to say 'we dont actually do that here'... grhhh... I've been trying to do the easy bits of my work for uni, where it's sort of copying and pasting bits of info, instead of stuff which requires more concentration than I have... I have a few jigsaws, so I could do that next time actually...

I agree with you Lily, this most recent anxiety has been so much harder than the depressions. I know both are difficult, and having both at the same time is even worse. I'm glad my mood has improved in the last 6 weeks, so I wasn't feeling suciidal at the same time otherwise I think I probably would have taken something. It is often that stress driven anxiety/agitation on top of the suicidal feelings that leads me to attempting...

The olanzapine seems to be doing something today, or it might have been the extra 30mg of librium I took which I was prescribed a few years ago - so it was a little old, I think the olanzapine has basically killed my brain, as I have been so tired today, I slept midnight until midday (so technically 11 hours as the clocks went forward) and then I couldn't keep my eyes open so slept 5.30pm-7.30pm! and have only really felt more awake just now (9.20pm!) Feel I've done nothing today, probably because I literally have done nothing, and it's pretty much bedtime again unless I want to sleep through my plans for tomorrow!! Eek. And i have to be at work at 8.30am on Tuesday, which is going to kill me, or not happen...and I'll probably fall asleep in the afternoon. I am so glad I'm not feeling so anxious today at least though.... xxx

Archived